May 17, 2014
TUCSON, AZ
Pool Size
I am trying to tune the chemicals in,
TA=110
FC=8
CYA=70
PH=7.2
I started with a very high TA(160) this am, after adding acid a couple of times today, then airating later in the day I feel like my numbers are close, Is 110 a HIGH TA? I realize my PH should come up a little more but I was going to wait and retest in the morning after the swg system ran for 3hrs. Should I still be airating or just wait till tomorrow. I am so worried about getting algae again.

I wouldn't worry about the PH. With the SWG it'll come up on its own. As for your TA, when PH climbs to 7.8 just lower it with acid and your TA will start to fall also. I think the recommended TA for a SWG is 60-80, so it'll probably get there by adjusting PH when it rises.
Everything else looks good. ?

Finally, thanks for your help these past 2 days, I was really getting ready to put the darn thing back in the box, but now after all your help and the correct test kit I am getting more and more comfortable with the whole chemical balancing process. I never could have done it without the help of TFP. ONE more question, my test kit does not include a test for borates, is that important to test? Thanks again.

No need to test for borates. You haven't done the borate thing.
With the test kit you have and the knowledge your gaining this is going to be a breeze for ya. Congrats on taking the time to gain the knowledge !
Just keep everything in range and don't micro manage the levels once their set and you'll be fine. Biggest things are PH, and keeping your FC in range for the CYA level to prevent algae. Just remember the SWG isn't a set it and forget it type of thing. You'll still need to test FC.

new numbers for swg

Hi, I am back, are these numbers ok? I did pool math and it didnt recommend that I make any adjustments, I just wonder if the FC is too high, I only run my swg for 2hrs, but may cut it back to 1hr just if I have to. I have been running the pump filter by itself twice and day for about 3hrs total doing some airating.
TA=100
FC=12
CC=0
CYA=75
PH=7.6
******************anyone have any advice.....just making sure I am on the right track here?

Re: new numbers for swg

Your FC is a little high according to the Chlorine CYA Chart. You should be around 7ppm so if you can back it down a bit, I would do so. Everything else looks pretty good. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You've gotten good advice. It may take a while to get it dialed in, but it's better to have a bit too much chlorine than not enough. If you're doing borates check out Duda Diesel for boric acid. I feel it's a much easier way to add the borates.

thanks for your help, I only run it for 1hr a day, I will retest and see if I need to run it every other day....again, your help means alot to me and has helped me understand this whole pool chemical thing....:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.