Ground Protection - overkill or not?

norwei

May 22, 2014
Brentwood, CA
Hi Everyone, I am finally done leveling. We have clay so it was a backbreaking, hand-numbing, patience-challenging experience. I am glad I am done with it well almost because I still have to set the pavers flush to the ground.

I tried searching and I couldn't find anything that can answer my question. I am thinking of putting sand, then foam board, and then gorilla pad. Is this overkill or not? I would like to save money as much as possible so I can do other projects. I already have the gorilla pad but I haven't bought the sand and the foam board yet.

And a follow up question is if I use the foam board and gorilla pad, do I need to cut holes through them so the legs of the pool is in direct contact with the pavers?

Thanks for all your help.

Hi there. We just finished set up of our 22X52. We priced the foam and honestly after everything else we have spent on saltwater pump and sand filter I just could not do it. We bought a gorilla pad already so we sprayed ground with round up and ant control, placed pavers ground level, placed black 6 mil plastic, then gorilla pad. Set up pool and it is fine. It is smooth and the Gorilla pad really helped smooth out the wrinkles and does offer comfort even though it doesn't look like much. I was on my knees in the pool smoothing out wrinkles and it was soft. If you want $200 foot comfort by all means...but the gorilla pad will do the job. I did not even buy another tarp this year...that's another $100. Instead I am putting the black plastic landscaping edging around the pool on the inside of the poles and then back filling with river pebbles and pavers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Remember, you want the top of your pavers level with the bottom of your pool. If you can match foam board and gorilla pad thickness to the thickness of your pavers, and your ground is good and level you won't have to bury the pavers. Just cut the foam board and gorilla pad around them.

oh no...i already buried the pavers today and bought the foam board...so what do I do now?

Did you end up getting the 3/4" foam board? If so, just go get a set of 1" pavers and set them on top of the ones you buried and cut out the foam around them. I used 8" X 16" X 1" pavers from Lowes. They were less than $1.50 each. So it will only cost you $27 to level up with your pad. I don't see the ones I got on the website, but the 8" X 16" x 2" show actual thickness of 1.7". Even if the 1" ones are a full 1" that 1/4" won't make a difference to your pool but I bet they are more like 3/4" or 7/8".

Thanks mac.dblues. Just out of curiosity though. What is going to happen if I just cut out holes in the foam to allow the legs to sit on top of the buried pavers? I am pretty sure that i have seen some posts here that shows pavers buried and then they put foam on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be worried that the frame would not be supporting the load it is designed to carry and might put added strain on the liner. It might also allow it to shift with water movement. These pools are designed as a frame/liner system, that's why they have to be level to hold up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.