New member and pool owner, saltwater at that!

May 31, 2014
Houston
Hey everyone! New member to the boards! Found this forum after some internet searching! Looks like a great community!

After reading some stickies I cant answer all of the questions but this is what I do know.

We just took possession of a house with a saltwater pool here in Houston, Tx. Built by aqua blue pools and meticulously serviced by them up until 2 weeks ago. Size not exactly sure of the gallon count will be getting that info from the owner in the next couple of days. Pebbletec finish, sandstone surround and water fall. All hayward equipment including a salt cell generator. With all the rain we have experienced lately salt was down to 2600ppm I added 3 bags of salt from Leslies to get it up to 3000ppm. SWG seems to be in line now and generating properly. SWG was cleaned last month.

Previous owners left some test strips which before the salt addition had the pH at 8.4 (high), alk was off, chlorine was low both of the 2 measurable values on the strip (low salt was probably to blame along with the neighborhood kids splashing in and out before we took possession). Forgive me I don't know which was which on the chlorine. This is our first pool. Sidenote: I am highly experienced in reef aquariums so I am comfortable with parameters. Although with the quotes we received for service I feel confident we can maintain this ourselves.

Pool is equipped with a polaris unit that seems to be working well. I cleaned the skimmer baskets and emptied the filter on the polaris. No big deal today. Will need to get a hose to hook the vacuum up so I can sweep the pool. Owners were great about getting people to keep up with it.

Since I am new, salt stickies or advice would be great! Recommendation on test kits would be awesome! Looking also to know what are the critical values required to really maintain the pool. Everything looks relatively great, clear water, no algae (I would assume phosphates are decently under control). There are some areas that are brown, some rust looking areas around one of the ports in the pool and maybe 1 in the hot tub. I have read about the Vitamin C tabs to try and clean those areas. But there is some scaling (light hardwater) around the edge of the pool on the tile. I attribute this to the high pH?

If anyone that lives in hot water climates can help me get started and make sure that we can do this ourselves that would be great!!

Welcome to TFP and congrats on taking over your own pool. The test kit most highly recommended here is the TF-100. I'm still in the dog house for the many test kits I've ordered and wasn't happy with until I got my TF-100 with Speed Stir. Nice option to have. After you have the test kit, post your results and there will be plenty of help to point you in the right direction.

Hi jqsquared!
welcome to TFP - SW aquarium enthusiast here too. (well, Ex,). If you can to that, the pool will be a piece of cake.

Highly recommend either the TF-100 test kit or the Taylor K-2006. Most folks prefer the TF-100 because it has larger quantities of test regents than the Taylor, Either can be found here. www.tftestkits.net.

Recommend to start reading Pool School. Everything you need to know about Pool Care is here.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

As a teaser,
FC is free chlorine. Its the chlorine available and is what kills off algae and pathogens -
CC is combined chlorine (also called chloramines. Its the CC which give the offensive chlorine smell). CC is chlorine have been killed off fighting algae.

the TFP care method is based on testing and chemistry science vs. the pool store method, which is sell you anything they can whether you need it or not!

We look forward to seeing pics of your pool and if you have ANY questions, feel free to post and you will get tons of responses!

Dave

Now my next reply, so as not to too long and drawn out, which I have a hard time doing sometime!

Hey everyone! New member to the boards! Found this forum after some internet searching! Looks like a great community!

After reading some stickies I cant answer all of the questions but this is what I do know.

We just took possession of a house with a saltwater pool here in Houston, Tx. Built by aqua blue pools and meticulously serviced by them up until 2 weeks ago. Size not exactly sure of the gallon count will be getting that info from the owner in the next couple of days. Pebbletec finish, sandstone surround and water fall. All hayward equipment including a salt cell generator. With all the rain we have experienced lately salt was down to 2600ppm I added 3 bags of salt from Leslies to get it up to 3000ppm. SWG seems to be in line now and generating properly. SWG was cleaned last month.

Previous owners left some test strips which before the salt addition had the pH at 8.4 (high), alk was off, chlorine was low both of the 2 measurable values on the strip (low salt was probably to blame along with the neighborhood kids splashing in and out before we took possession). Forgive me I don't know which was which on the chlorine. This is our first pool. Sidenote: I am highly experienced in reef aquariums so I am comfortable with parameters. Although with the quotes we received for service I feel confident we can maintain this ourselves.

Pool is equipped with a polaris unit that seems to be working well. I cleaned the skimmer baskets and emptied the filter on the polaris. No big deal today. Will need to get a hose to hook the vacuum up so I can sweep the pool. Owners were great about getting people to keep up with it.

Since I am new, salt stickies or advice would be great! Recommendation on test kits would be awesome! Looking also to know what are the critical values required to really maintain the pool.
FC - Free Chlorine
CC - Combined Chlorine
TA - Total Alkalinity, buffers the Ph
Ph -
CH - Calcium Hardness

CYA - a.k.a. stabilizer. Sun tan lotion for chlorine. It prevents too much of the the FC from being burned off by UV. FC levels are directly dependent upon this parameter.

Everything looks relatively great, clear water, no algae (I would assume phosphates are decently under control).
The TFPC method typically doesnt consider phosphates a requirement of proper pool care. Its much easire to kill algae with chlorine than it is to starve it to death by removing its food source.

There are some areas that are brown, some rust looking areas around one of the ports in the pool and maybe 1 in the hot tub. I have read about the Vitamin C tabs to try and clean those areas. But there is some scaling (light hardwater) around the edge of the pool on the tile. I attribute this to the high pH? Most likely calcium scaling around the waterline. Ph and the CH and TA if not kept in balnce can significantly exasperate this.

The forum also has a cool tool called Pool Math. We use this to determine which chemical and the quantity is need to reach a recommended level. Play around with it a bit and get used to using it. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Recommended Pool Parameter levels
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.