Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump/motor not working, urgent help needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump/motor not working, urgent help needed

I need urgent help needed, when I turn on the motor, I am hearing following, please help me out ASAP, thanks a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3YY...ature=youtu.be
    11000 Gallons, Cartridge Filter, UG, Plaster, Shasta pool, filter model Hayward C4030, Pump Motor Emerson 1-1/2HP Full Rated EB2977T, Pump model Northstar SP4010NS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump/motor not working, urgent help needed

I will really appreciate a response from anyone, thanks a lot
    11000 Gallons, Cartridge Filter, UG, Plaster, Shasta pool, filter model Hayward C4030, Pump Motor Emerson 1-1/2HP Full Rated EB2977T, Pump model Northstar SP4010NS

3. Back To Top    #3

First thing to try would be a new start capacitor assuming your motor has one. Cheap, and a very common failure.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I cant watch the video but there are some points connected via a lever from the centrifugal switch. The points could be corroded or not making good contact. That will required dissasembling the motor. Another thing is you can take off the black plastic cover on the back and turn the shaft with a straight screwdriver and see if its froze up. Also turn the pump on and spin the shaft with a screwdriver clockwise and see if it will start up.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like a run capacitor like JohnT said. When you panned down in the video towards the pump I got a glimpse of the motor. The run capacitor is under that "hump" on top of the motor right next the control pad. Can you take that cover off?
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the same sound a couple weeks back and it turned out that my centrifugal switch was stuck. I have a Hayward Super II Pump, so I am not sure what yours looks like behind the back cover. I am not a pump mechanic, I just tried this and it worked for me so no guarantees. First make sure the power is off. If you can get the back cover off, look for an inverted "V" shaped device. If you have one, try wiggling it a little by hand...gently back and forth. Mine was stuck and after a little help, it began moving easily and the pump worked fine. If it's not that, your impellar might be stuck, once you have the front of the pump off (with the power off of course), try turning it by hand a little. It just may have gotten stuck in the offseason. Hope this helps a bit.
    33K gal. Super Steel Grecian IG (built 1994), Vinyl Liner (Replaced 2013), Jacuzzi EW 75 DE Filter (Original 1994), 1 HP Heyward Super II Pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Polaris 380 Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't forget to turn the power off *at the circuit breaker* before poking around at the motor with a screwdriver.
    21K gallon, plaster, 1hp Hayward MaxFlo pump, Hayward 244s sand filter, 3/4 hp Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok great, i just bought a new 25MF capacitor and motor is working fine now... one more thing,the motor originally had a 25MF cap.. and the place from where I bought the cap asked me the HP on motor, i told him 1.5HP, then he suggested me to use 20MF...but I bought 25MF because thats what was there originally.... Any suggestions??

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad you got it working. You made the right choice. It is best to replace it with one that is identical in specs. A lower rated capacitor may not have been able to hold enough of a charge to get the motor started.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

10. Back To Top    #10

You can go bigger but going smaller is usually not a good idea.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.