Clear Water, but green tinted liner - Above Ground Pool

Jun 1, 2014
Palmdale/ca
I have been looking over the site and have been learning a lot about stains on vinyl liners.

I just reopened my pool and the winter cover tore open and allowed a lot of Pine needle and pine pod/things accumulate on the bottom of the pool. vacuumed and cleared water. Water is now very clear and the liner is supposed to look like tan pebbles, is now tinted evenly green.

Leslie's said I had a metal problem and treated with metal gone and now tests show no metal, but still green tint.

Some details. 10,000 gallons. CYA: 100 (thinking that 3" tabs are not the way to go), CH is 720, TA is 150, FAC 2, TAC is 3. PH is 7.4

I have been told I need to drain and refill. REALLY don't like the idea of wasting 10,000 gallons of water if I have to.

I put a 3' Tab on the bottom of the pool for a half hour and it did not make a change in the stain. Put some Spa PH Down in a sock on the liner for 20 minutes and it also did not change the stain.

Hoping for some hints as to what steps I REALLY need to make.

Thanks in Advance for the help.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You have two problems.....you clearly need to drain about 50% of your pool to reduce CYA and CH and the second issue is the staining.

If it was my pool, I would get the water in proper shape and then address the stains.

There are two articles that will help you get a better understanding of what we teach..

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

read "SLAM" in the "How To" section. Those two articles will get you started towards a much better balance of your pool water.

A couple of questions if I may:
1. After the water change, is the SLAM likely to reduce the green tint on the liner? As I said before the tablet left on the liner, and the acid in a sock on the liner had no effect.
2. The high CYA level seems to have come from using 3" tablets. This is the most convienent and cost effective format for me, but I went years without changing
out water. And I have had to change water now twice in 3 years. Is there more CYA in 3" tablets than there used to be? The cost of a SWG still seems excessive.
Thanks again in advance.
Thanks again.

It could be copper staining from using mineral packs or copper-based algaecides.

Before you drain -- if you really feel you must to get the pool shaped up -- try a Vitamin C tablet. Just get the cheapest you can find at Walgreens or wherever if you don't have any around the house. Set it on a green patch for ten minutes or so. If you see a clear spot where it was, it's metal staining and an ascorbic acid treatment will lift it. And then if you want to drain, that's the time to so it and get rid of all the dissolved metals and excess CH and CYA at one time.

Take a close look at the picture in this thread. That's from rubbing a tablet across the stains on fiberglass!

I will definitely give this a try today. However, I have not ever used any algaecides in my pool. I did have a lot of pine needles and debris on the bottom in a layer of sludge that I waste vaccummed out of the pool and thought, wow this is gonna be an easy season to get swimming! Then with what looks like crystal clear water, the bottom and sides are still very evenly green, hmmmm. Adjusted PH (acid) Threw a few bags of shock in the pool, and no change, darn. Not filled with confidence with help I got from my current staff at the local Leslies, which is why I came here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.