Looking for advice on SLAM (picture)

May 31, 2014
Illinois
I'm planning on getting a test kit, but in the meantime I had the pool store test the water:

Total chlorine: 0.4
Free chlorine: 0.0
Ph: 7.0
Alkalinity: 90
Calcium Hardness: 75
CYA: 0

Pool is 14,000 gallons, sand filter, above ground.

I've read the pool school, but would still like opinions on this. I will be using liquid chlorine 12.5%.

The pump is up and running. I'm assuming it's best to add CYA and then SLAM once the CYA level is up? Or should I just start hitting it?

tmp_oie_221214HXGIURzJ657603306.jpg

Maybe....

Did you chlorinate last year with pucks? If so, your CYA might have decomposed into ammonia, which could make your pool's appetite for chlorine almost insatiable.

But I'm getting too far ahead. I wouldn't trust pool store results, especially for CYA. What if it's really 20 and you add 30 thinking it's zero? Oops. What if it's 50 and you added 30 more? :shock:

If you absolutely MUST do something while you wait, brush the walls and floor, drag out as much debris as you can with a leaf rake, and vacuum blindly. The more stuff you get out of the water physically, the less you have to deal with chemically.

Leaf Rake:
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

I did use pucks last year. Are you saying I'm going to need a ton of bleach/chlorine to fix this? There's no hope? lol. I'm confused about the ammonia.
CYA can break down into ammonia if the right conditions and bacteria are present.

With a pool that deep green you're going to need a ton of bleach to fix it anyway. We don;t know without a way to test accurately. I suggest you concentrate on the sludge or leaves in the pool and wait for a proper test kit before doing anything with pool chemicals.

Right now it's all about getting yourself a good test kit to fix this, and it can be fixed ! There is no way to fix it without being able to have accurate test results and being able to test high FC levels.
Get the TF-100 XL. You won't regret it. When it comes post up the test results and we can help you get started fixing this swamp. You'll be amazed ! ?

drag out as much debris as you can with a leaf rake....

I had a pool swamp for many years before purchasing a cover, and opened each year to an insane amount of giant leaves. The one product that was a life saver was the Big Sucker Leaf Pool Vacuum (Amazon sells it along with nearly identical ones which I assume are all similar). You attach a garden hose along with a pole and lower it into the pool. The water flow naturally creates a suction and the leaves rise up into a mesh bag on top. After a little trial and error, it is IMHO the best way to blindly get leaves out of a pool. Just a word of caution: a full mesh bag of leaves gets heavy and bringing it above surface is like a trophy fish tugging at your fishing pole, so you want to bring it before the bag fills up (you get a feel for how long that is after a few times). You also need to keep in mind that when you bring it out of the water, the water sprays out from the top, so this is how we mastered it:
1) Keep a wheelbarrow at your side
2) Lower the contraption into the pool, bring it back up, and when it is near pool surface, bend and squeeze the the hose to stop the flow.
3) Place the base (wheels down) into the wheelbarrow and invert the mesh bag down through the base to empty it (yes, it is disgusting, so wear gloves). Don't bother removing the bag each time by loosening the drawstring as the instructions recommend, it is unnecessary and time consuming.
4) Repeat and when the wheelbarrow is full, dump it somewhere.

One other note: You don't need to and shouldn't wait until you completely blind scoop to get your water clear. We year after year (pre-bbb and while using bbb) turned the darkest green pool crystal clear while having leaves and dirt on the bottom. It may take a little more chlorine, but the benefits of seeing what you are doing is a worthy trade-off. So we keep at slam level and the pool always cleared within a 2-5 few days. We would then see what we were doing and instead of rolling the big sucker along the pool floor, we would lower directly over patches leaves, lift, and lower over the remaining leaves. The downside to clearing leaves when the water is clear is that after a while, it kicks up dirt and makes the water cloudy. At that point, since the pool was already cloudy, we blind brush the walls and surface to kick up all the dirt, and let the filter run until it clears. Repeat that 2-4 times and you will have the most sparkling water. (If you have a DE filter like we do, keep a close eye at the stage after kicking up the dirt. The filter will need backwashing pretty often.)

Big Sucker Leaf Pool Vacuum:
big-sucker-leaf-vacuum.jpg

Yea, I'm not really sure what happened my self. I know when I added the first batch of chlorine it turned into a cloudy mess and then I vacuumed everything out the next day a couple times (to waste) while pounding it with chlorine. The next morning it was looking good and then today I feel like I'm ready to swim, lol. My only guess is I probably added maybe more chlorine than I should have? Either way I'll find out tomorrow morning if it's all good or not with the Taylor k-2006.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.