Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: absorbic acid treatment and pH level

1. Back To Top    #1

absorbic acid treatment and pH level

I have a SWG pool and am going to do an absorbic acid treatment this week (have been waiting for Chlorine to go down). Per the treatment I understand that the pH should be 7.2 or lower, however, the SWG guidelines suggest 7.5-7.8 for maintenance. After ensuring metals are sequestered with the ProMetal treatment should I maintain 7.5 or 7.2 pH?

Thanks,
    Traci
    HoltPool
    21K gal SWG gunite pool/spa/waterfall, Goldline ProLogic controls, 2 2.0 HP Hayward Northstar pumps, hayward heater, 4 cartridge, Polaris 9300 sport robot, TFP-100 test kit owner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: absorbic acid treatment and pH level

During the AA treatment you lower the PH, but when the AA treatment is over your raise the PH back up. The PH needs to be low while the AA is working, and then you have to bring it up very slowly, just as your bring FC up very slowly. But once the treatment is over, you go back to doing everything normally, including PH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. If stains reappear and ph is above 7.2 what do I do? Add muriatic acid first then more absorbic acid? How quickly should stains reappear? before pH goes up?
    HoltPool
    21K gal SWG gunite pool/spa/waterfall, Goldline ProLogic controls, 2 2.0 HP Hayward Northstar pumps, hayward heater, 4 cartridge, Polaris 9300 sport robot, TFP-100 test kit owner

4. Back To Top    #4

If stains return and you catch it right away, lower the PH a little and add sequestrant. AA is only useful if you go through the whole treatment process.

Have you read this writeup on doing the AA treatment? I goes though all of these things and much more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I've read and reread the treatment process so many times...I'm quite scared of the process. I've even read the comments where someone added 6lbs of aa and then another 6lbs. I only have 5 lbs for a 21,000 gal pool so i'm worried what to do if stains reappear since I ordered my AA online. I have 2 qt of ProTeam Metal Magic and A&H laundry wash. I'm just not sure how long to wait between adding more AA and when to start added ProTeam Metal Magic...
    HoltPool

6. Back To Top    #6

Holt...I just went through the AA treatment last week, posted under a different thread. I followed the guidelines laid out and saw results immediately. However, my staining was extensive, so all of the stain did not lift immediately. I ordered more AA thinking I would treat again, but while waiting for the product to arrive, most of the stain has since lifted on its own. I have had the filter running 24/7 for a week and running FC low with the help of some polyquat. Pool looks great. Go for it...my pool is 30K and I used 5 #'s AA, you will probably be fine.
    South Carolina, in ground 30000 gal vinyl liner, sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. I'll probably give it a try in the am since my FC is close to 0.
    HoltPool

8. Back To Top    #8

How much metal magic did you use? I put in 2 qt but since my stains are dark on the bottomi wonder if I need more. I don't want stains to reappear just bc I didn't use enough.
    HoltPool