Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: About to start BBB, first steps

1. Back To Top    #1

About to start BBB, first steps

After my last trip to Leslies. They tested my water because I accidently let my inline run out of tabs and the water was cloudy. They said my cya was 90 and my calcium was low. Chlorine was non existent. TA and PH were fine. While sweeping the steps i noticed a light dusting of what I'm guessing is algae. I added half the water hardness they perscribed and now show according to my kit, 500. I give up. I just ordered my K-2006 and should be in Friday. I'm going to drain 2ft of water and refill tomorrow. What will be my first steps?
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: About to start BBB, first steps

What will be my first steps?
    posting a complete set of test results from the K-2006 so we can have reliable data to look at. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to drain the pool based on unreliable test results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

1. You've already ordered a good test kit.
    2. stop going to leslies
    3. while you're waiting for your kit read all you can of the pool school there's a link at the top of every page-- like Dave said, don't drain until you get the accurate result from your K-2006.
    4. follow all the good advice you will find in this forum.
    5 enjoy your well maintained pool!!!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Step 1, get some chlorine in that pool. Use bleach, not tablets. Tablets are what got your CYA up to 90. I suspect it's higher, actually. Minimum FC for 90 CYA is 7. Target is higher. 1.5 jugs of standard 8.25% clorox every day should keep that cloudy water from turning into green water until you get your test kit

Step 2. Wait for your test kit before doing anything. If they said 90 on CYA, it could just as easily be 50 or 150. If you drain without needing to, you'll have wasted time and money. If you drain and discover you didn't drain enough, you'll have wasted even more time and money. Any action on your pool chemistry starts with accurate test results.

Step 3. Prepare yourself for combat. Read some lengthy threads in the Defeating Algae forum. Most of them start with high CYA and uglier water than you, but the process is likely the same. Then browse pool school and read

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...at-is-tfpc-bbb
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-abbreviations

and any other articles that strike your fancy
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been lurking this site for 7 months. I wish I had started this route from the beginning. I stopped the draining. Can't wait to get started. I get results up as soon as the kit comes in.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13

6. Back To Top    #6

1.5 gallons bleach in, will check tomorrow to see if it holds

7. Back To Top    #7

today's photos, sure doesn't look like I have problems though I know I do
    added bleach and swept while I'm still waiting on my kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Package showed up in the mail a day early, YAY!!! My K-2006 arrived. I have been adding 1.5 gl of bleach since Monday. I have been brushing the pool every afternoon after I add the bleach seeing a small amount of dusting. Today, there was not much dusting as before. I swam with my mask and snorkel and brushed with a corner brush and it didn't seem to be green anymore. Now for the numbers:
    FC. 7.5
    CC. .5
    PH. 7.8
    TA 80
    CH 280
    CYA 100+ (bottom of the CYA letters on the tube) assuming this is super high
    Thanks for everyone's input
    Jury duty this morning, after that I'm ready to get started

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh, should I start a new thread under a different forum or just keep on with this one?

10. Back To Top    #10

Keep things together.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm gonna try the CYA dilution test this afternoon to see if I get a more accurate reading.

12. Back To Top    #12

Jury duty cut me. What can I get started on this morning?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Reddogdan View Post
    Jury duty cut me. What can I get started on this morning?
    CYA dilution test is what you need to do to get an accurate CYA reading, then you can move forward.
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

14. Back To Top    #14

dilution test shows 75, x2 for my whopping 150, betting I know what comes next.

15. Back To Top    #15

dilution test shows 75, x2 for my whopping 150, betting I know what comes next.
    Yup, you need to drain, refill and retest CYA.

Now you can see how bad the testing and advice from the pool store was. They wanted you to add all kinds of stuff and then when you went back, they would have said to drain the pool.
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons

16. Back To Top    #16

Getting lower

17. Back To Top    #17

Beautiful pool though....gonna follow this!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks, I'll post better pics when I get filled back up. I should be be ready to start adding water back this afternoon. I'll probably clean my cartridges for the heck of it while I wait on it to fill.

19. Back To Top    #19

On a side note. I have about 6 friends that also own pools. All of them use pucks and battle algae. I have given TFP info to all of them. This method makes to much sense not to use it.

20. Back To Top    #20

On a side note. I have about 6 friends that also own pools. All of them use pucks and battle algae. I have given TFP info to all of them. This method makes to much sense not to use it.
    Just an FYI, some will join the club, others will think we are crazy.
    Rick

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast