Poorly bonded coping?

Steve_K

Bronze Supporter
Dec 12, 2013
San Diego, CA
My new pool is currently being tiled. I checked the quality of the installation by lightly tapping on each tile using a large steel nut and listening for any hollow sounds. The tiles appear to be tight and sound, no problems at all. Next, I tapped on the precast concrete coping and heard hollow sounds at each end of almost every piece of coping. I'm surprised because the installer used a rubber mallet to pound each coping piece into place until mortar would squeeze out the sides. I'm guessing he spread the mortar too thin at the ends.

I'll call the pool contractor tomorrow to get his opinion. Pulling all the coping off would delay the completion, especially if any pieces are broken in the process. The coping is custom made with a 3 week lead time. Has anyone experienced this before?

View attachment 30105
DSCN9974 (Small).jpg
DSCN9977 (Small).jpg

The Tile Institute of America recommends a minimum 90% coverage of the thinset for outdoor applications. In other words, pressing a tile into fresh thinset and then immediately pulling the tile off, the back of the tile should be 90% covered in thinset. Each day, the pool coping is subjected to swings in temperature causing it to expand and contract and the thinset must maintain a bond under these changing conditions.

Some sections of my coping have less than 50% thinset coverage. Sure, the coping is not going to fall off any time soon, but I plan to live in this house for 25 years and prefer not to hire another contractor to redo the coping 15 years from now.

Anyway, the tile work has been going on for 6 weeks now and I'm anxious to finish the pool, so I've given up on having the coping redone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.