Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer powder on bottom of vinyl pool liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer powder on bottom of vinyl pool liner

I opened my pool today and added some stabilizer that i picked up from Walmart last year. I added 56 ounces as i could still see the black dot on the bottom of the tube when testing my CYA. The water was cloudy so i figured i had about 20 for CYA. I put the stabilizer in a nylon stocking and hung it in front of the jet. I had to leave for a few hours and my husband said there was white powder all over the bottom of the pool floor and vacuumed it up. He said he heard the stabilizer could damage the pool liner if left sitting there. Is this ok? Did i do something wrong or is this normal?

Thank you,
    Alison
    21,000 Gal, Oval, Vinyl, AG, 7 foot deep end. AquaQuik A/G Sand Filter- 3/4HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer powder on bottom of vinyl pool liner

No problem. Your husband did good, you could get white freckles if that powder was CYA and not dead algae.

Hopefully you won't need to backwash before it's done dissolving in there, if it is the CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Tell him Thank You for cleaning it up. It could have faded the liner there.
    What happened to the nylon stocking ? You can do it that way or put the nylon stocking in the skimmer basket. Make sure pump is running until it's all dissolved. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the replies. My husband removed the nylon stocking as there was not any stabilizer left in it. Just to be clear if i have to do this again is it normal for everyone to have granules scattered through out the pool floor when using this method? I don't want to ruin my vinyl liner. Would just putting the stocking in the skimmer basket avoid this? It only took a few hours for this to dissolve in front of the jet. Does it take longer to dissolve if just placing stocking in skimmer basket?

5. Back To Top    #5

No. It's just that some people need so much that it won't all fit in the skimmer without blocking the flow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Nylons tear too quickly --have seen more than one thread where nylons have torn dumping the cya to the bottom, I have pair of tight weave synthetic socks I use for my cya additions.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I use a white cotton athletic sock hung in front of a return, works fine.
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for all this information. Ill use a cotton sock next time and hopefully this wont happen again.