DIY Natural Stone Coping...

May 13, 2014
San Diego, CA
It seems every time I start talking to my wife about the work we are going to be doing on our pool at the end of this month, she seems to come up with something else she wants to do...

So, we have the standard concrete bullnose coping installed around our pool now, and from the feel of some of them, they won't be difficult to remove LOL. Here is a pic for reference.

pool_clean.JPG

What she has decided she wants is a natural stone coping around the pool, which I think would look nice. The problem comes in, when I don't want to pay anyone to do it for me LOL. If it's going to get done, I want to do it myself. I guess the question I have is, do I need to purchase stone specifically made for pool coping? Or can I go to the stone place down the road from my house and buy a bunch of stone to mortar around the pool? We like the natural or chiseled edge look of stone. Also, when putting this stuff down, what are any problems to look out for that might not be obvious for someone doing coping for the first time?

Thanks for any tips, hints, critiques or lewd remarks :D

Virtually any stone will be fine as long as it has the uniformity of size and the thickness you want.

Have you installed masonry before? It is a physically demanding job and there are some skills and experience that may not be obvious to the inexperienced.

Do you have a robust saw to cut that stone you choose? At least 2 hp if not bigger.

I have installed masonry before... but just typical block wall type construction, and I have poured concrete slabs before. As far as the saw goes, I don't have a saw that size... I was thinking about buying a wet saw for cutting bricks in the future since I am eventually going to build a brick pizza oven... I guess I could buy that now and do the pool and have it for when I start the oven project.

You may do just fine with your experience....you know how physical masonry is.

Most of the coping stones you choose will need to have a straight cut on the back side where they abutt the decking. That is a LOT of cutting especially if you choose a hard stone. Get a really big saw, if you do this. You won't regret it.

Depending, you may get a mason to cut them for you with a gas powered dry saw......BIG job, regardless of how you get it done. Keep us posted!

Glad I could help. I haven't used their products but am very tempted on the countertop coating. I listen to a home improvement show on talk radio every weekend and the host raves about their products. As do folks who have used them. Somehow I'm willing to trust a product I've heard talked about for at least the last few years. I'd be interested in hearing about your results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.