Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running filter with cover on???

1. Back To Top    #1

Running filter with cover on???

Is there any sense in running the filter with the pool cover on? I have delayed opening my pool this year due to the fact I am
    traveling the first week of June, and I was curious if I should run the filter while I was away with the cover on??

Thanks
    18X36 inground with vinyl liner.. Hayward DE .... Upgraded to Hayward Ecostar
    26,700 gallons....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running filter with cover on???

If you don't have a SWG or other chlorine feed device it doesn't really matter. If you do have something that feeds chlorine when the pump is on, then it is probably worth running the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I do have a chlorinator.... so perhaps it is worth running.. on low rpm??
    18X36 inground with vinyl liner.. Hayward DE .... Upgraded to Hayward Ecostar
    26,700 gallons....

4. Back To Top    #4

I doubt that it would hurt, and it MIGHT help if your pool picks up a lot of crud over the winter to get a start on cleaning that out... Might deter the green slime a bit, though that is doubtful if not adding chlorine in some form...

I can't say that I've tried either way, since in order to run my pumps I have to take the cover off in order to get the stoppers out of the lines...

Depending on how you winterize, if you pumped down a lot, you are likely to need stabilizer anyway, so it might not be a bad thing to lift one corner of the cover and chuck in a bunch of pucks / sticks (maybe in a floater?) to give some chlorine while you are gone....

ex-Gooserider
    Free-form Inground gunnite pool, Estimated 16-17K gallons. New Pentair TR60 ClearPro 24" sand filter and Compupool CPSC-48 SWG, Hayward SP1607X10 Pump w/ 1HP motor, 1.5" plumbing, Polaris Pressure cleaner w/ booster pump. pool is more than 25 yrs old, less than 35. Not painted, deteriorating tile surround. I am paraplegic, get in/out of pool w/ S.R. SMITH PAL portable pool lift (significantly modified)