Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Virginia Chef ready to help you with your cooking needs!

1. Back To Top    #1

Virginia Chef ready to help you with your cooking needs!

Hi all my name is Doug, I live in Montpelier Virginia. I have had great help today getting my pool straightened out so I thought I would return the favor in case anyone needs any cooking help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Virginia Chef ready to help you with your cooking needs!

Nice ! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Looking for ways to cut out fat in diets and still make it taste great? I can help!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ready to start looking better in that swim suit? I can help! Lets start with sauces and salad dressings! You can produce your own low-fat dressings and save yourself money by adding two things to your kitchen! A wand mixer and a product called Xanthan gum. Xanthan gum replaces all the thickeners ( corn starch, flour, etc.. ). It is a tree cellulose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthan_gum take ranch dressing. Ranch dressing typically has a lot of mayonnaise, oils it taste great but is not very healthy for you. With Xanthan gum you can cut down on all the high fat ingredients and still make it taste great. Xantham gum ties any liquid into a sauce, It is a fine powder that you add to whatever sauce/dressing you are making to make it thicken. It does not need to be hot in order to thicken. instead of using a lot of oil you instead replace it with water. Water and Xantham gum are your best friends when cooking low fat. You need to be careful when adding Xantham gum to whatever you are making. A pinch and mix, a pinch and mix. To much and it can taste a little gloppy. Just put enough until it starts to thicken up. Now say your making something that has other things in it besides the sauce like a stew or a chunky soup. Since you need to use a hand mixer you need to make the sauce part separate because you would grind up anything to a liquid when you are mixing. it takes a little to get use to but once you get a feel for it you can make anything low fat and make it taste great. Here is the type of mixer i am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORaqhd6ZlLw
    40,000 gallon, vinyl liner, sand filter, oldie but goodie, Chef for all your cooking questions!

5. Back To Top    #5

I've always called those a "boat motor". I guess I got that from the food channel on cable. We have one, and yes, it is very useful for quite a few cooking needs.

When cooking sauces and stews, I favor making a roux. If I need a clear sauce/gravy, it's corn starch. I've looked for xanthan gum in the local markets, but since there is very little call for it no one carries it.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

its getting more and more available. it is also used gluten free baking.
    Roux's/starch are standard but if your trying to get away from the calories you got to lose those oils.
    40,000 gallon, vinyl liner, sand filter, oldie but goodie, Chef for all your cooking questions!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Kellychaison View Post
    its getting more and more available. it is also used gluten free baking.
    Roux's/starch are standard but if your trying to get away from the calories you got to lose those oils.
    Doug,
    What have you got as far as favorite chicken marinade recipes? Anything with a citrus flair to make fajitas /tacos
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    I've always called those a "boat motor". I guess I got that from the food channel on cable.
    You did. That's Emeril's name for it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Doug... nothing completes a meal like a side of dog n cat hair! Believe me, I have 2 Boxers and a Rottweiler!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter