Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: weakened pool liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

weakened pool liner?

I have large areas - 3-4 ft - where the blue liner is now bleached white. How badly does the liner weaken? We have had it for ~ 6 years. I looked thru other threads but did not see anything specific about weakened liners. Thanks for your comments.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: weakened pool liner?

Probably not a big issue until you drain the water, at which point it will get very brittle very fast. If you have a significant water change event, plan on replacing the liner.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks elwood58.
    At the end of the season we drain part way to winterize the pool. Here's hoping that does not qualify as a "significant water change event".
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you dosing chlorine next to this *white spot* ? If you are, you may want to point the eyeball more towards the middle of the pool and then readjust the eyeball once dosing is complete.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Casey: Thanks for the info. It happened because of pouring bleach in around the sides before opening the pool, when the pump was not running, only a sump pump and hose were circulating the water.
    I also bleached the deep end too, using the same dumb method.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oops on you! lol

As mentioned above, you probably won't have issues unless you drain it. I would keep an eye on it and if it looks and feels brittle, you may want to consider a new liner and NOT dump bleach in it without the filter running!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter