Can Conduit be run Above Ground to Feed a Pool House Subpanel?

Jun 15, 2012
Hi Everyone,
I need some advice about how to get electricity to my pool house.
First a little background.
The backyard has an Anthony in ground pool, and was flooded during hurricane Sandy in North Jersey. After the flood in November the electric was fine, but by last May the wires in the conduit somehow rotted and short circuited. We also have a well for lawn irrigation, and the electric to that was just fine, so the electrician disconnected the well pump and used the 220 line to feed the pool pump. That was the quick fix for last year.
The original conduit was only 1/2 inch and has both a 220 circuit and a 110 circuit plus the ground running through it. I had two electricians try to pull the wires out and they failed,almost to the point of breaking the wires.
My options are:
A - Cut a lot of concrete around pool, dig, go under a brick retaining wall, cut patio concrete, dig again, and then come into main panel
B - Run conduit above ground through the landscaping from house to pool.

Any advice on what should I do, and the code requirement's for above ground conduit? Can I run it attached to the metal fence post, that would be the easiest solution, or right next to it.

Thanks

John

Ive got no idea on the code requirements in the US, but here in Oz, electrical conduit must be a minimum 600mm (2 feet) below finished ground level unless its under a concrete path, deck, etc
I would be very surprised if it wasnt the same in the US after reading a few threads with regard to electrical bonding of pools, decks, equipment, etc

Andrew,
This conduit is to feed a subpanel in the poolhouse (shed where the pump, filter, heater etc...). From the subpanel the pumps, lights, etc.. are fed, and bonded as per code. The fence and poolhouse are more than 10-0 from the edge of the pool. I hope this helps explain a little more what I hope to do.
Thanks for your help
John

This is one of the areas where the code varies a little from place to place, but generally you can't put conduit at ground level. Several inches above the ground on the fence might work depending on details.

Why can't you run through the landscaping in a trench? As Jason states, you should be able to run conduit a few inches above ground attached to the fence. If you do it (as opposed to an electrician) I would talk to your local building inspector first, explaining exactly what you want to do.

Danpic
Running along the fence would be ideal, but another thing I'm not sure is if there is anything in the code about how far from the property line a subpanel feed has to be. I was leaning toward 1" or 1 1/4" galvanized rigid. I am giving the job out to an electrician but not before I have a firm game plan in place when I sit down with them. I already had 2 try to pull the existing wires, and they both told me that the original electrician who installed the 1/2 conduit, while code compliant, was penny wise and pound foolish, since the cost to go from 1/2" to 1" was nothing in the big scheme of things.
At todays prices to go from 1/2" to 1" is an additional $18.12 and to 1½" is $43.56. (12 x 10-0 pieces 120-0 of PVC conduit) pennywise pound foolish LOL

Thanks
John

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.