Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid solar covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid solar covers

I have searched some older posts on this topic. I was wondering what your opinion is on the liquid solar covers as to whether they are worth it or not, and whether they are safe to use when small children use the pool (worried about them drinking the water, etc). My husband just picked some up at the pool store and I am hesitant to use it. There are no ingredients on it or anything (Therma Swim) and I am wondering if it will screw up my pool chemistry as well.
    7+ years, inground, 25,000 gallon, vinyl, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid solar covers

Harmful?........doubtful.

Useful?...........even more doubtful.

Where do you think all that thin film of magic elixir is gonna end up?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

We don't recommend liquid solar cover products. Some of them don't work at all, and others work only a tiny bit. A plastic bubble cover is far more effective than even the best of the liquid "covers".
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Liquid solar covers

Don't waste your money on the liquid solar cover The solar rings are a waste also.
    Here is a good place to look at for Solar Covers. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Everyone has their own opinions on chemical exposure but something really turns me off about swimming in water that has a layer of some unknown chemical that will be deposited on my and my children's skin every time we break the water's surface. Even if it worked fabulously I'd steer away from it and look for a non chemical alternative.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to give a differing opinion, while I don't disagree that a cover is most effective, I don't want to use up my small, irregular deck footprint with one. I've been using CoverFree for two full seasons now, and can tell visually that it at least helps hold in the heat. Eg. Break the surface tension on an Oct. a.m. and you will suddenly see fog produced.

However, this phenom is also the downside of CoverFree...wind, circulation if vigorous, and the robot all reduce its efficacy. I do keep my pool at 87 now at all times and while my gas bill is not insubstantial, it is lower than the periods that I'd not use CoverFree.

One other downside of using such a product is the increase of surface tension...maple keys, pollen and catkins, plus bugs stay aflat longer

Re health ...personally, I am not concerned about four ounces added to 23,000 gallons of water...but perhaps I'm being cavalier. It forms a one micron layer.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

7. Back To Top    #7

Liquid solar covers

Since swimming is generally a water surface activity and I'm guessing most people spend 90% of their time with some portion of their body at the surface, the fact that a pool is 23,000 gallons has little to do with reducing your exposure to the unknown chemical(s) that make up that stuff.

Edit: I think the concept is really kinda a neat idea. I'd just like it if the company that sells it were more open about what it was so a more informed decision can be made about using it.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

8. Back To Top    #8

The component info is available on the Msds -just not the proprietary blend.

For example, in the case of cover free, a small percentage (5-7%) is this:

Stearyl alcohol (also known as octadecyl alcohol or 1-octadecanol) is an organic compound with the formula CH3(CH2)16CH2OH. It is classified as a fatty alcohol. It takes the form of white granules or flakes, which are insoluble in water. It has a wide range of uses as an ingredient in lubricants, resins, perfumes and cosmetics. It is used as an emollient, emulsifier, and thickener in ointments of various sorts, and is widely used as a hair coating in shampoos and hair conditioners. It has also found application as an evaporation suppressing monolayer when applied to the surface of water.[2]

Stearyl alcohol is prepared from stearic acid or some fats by the process of catalytic hydrogenation. It has low toxicity.[3]
    And 1-3% of this:

The acute oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low, and large quantities are required to cause perceptible health damage in humans; propylene glycol is metabolized in the human body into pyruvic acid (a normal part of the glucose-metabolism process, readily converted to energy), acetic acid (handled by ethanol-metabolism), lactic acid (a normal acid generally abundant during digestion),[16] and propionaldehyde (a potentially hazardous substance).[17][18][19]

Serious toxicity generally occurs only at plasma concentrations over 1 g/L, which requires extremely high intake over a relatively short period of time.[20] It would be nearly impossible to reach toxic levels by consuming foods or supplements, which contain at most 1 g/kg of PG. Cases of propylene glycol poisoning are usually related to either inappropriate intravenous administration or accidental ingestion of large quantities by children.[21] The potential for long-term oral toxicity is also low. In one study, in 1972, 12 rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects; no data on offspring was offered.[22] Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol was classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive, including frozen foods such as ice cream and frozen desserts.[23]
    Hope that offers some insight. Neither property is classified as a hazardous chemical and are available in fod grade forms.

I doubt a micron layer would net any contraindications if it did pass the skin, but would of course be highly interested in any science anyone might have on that.

@chemgeek. ... Any info on that?
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    The component info is available on the Msds -just not the proprietary blend.

For example, in the case of cover free, a small percentage (5-7%) is this:

And 1-3% of this:

Hope that offers some insight. Neither property is classified as a hazardous chemical and are available in fod grade forms.

I doubt a micron layer would net any contraindications if it did pass the skin, but would of course be highly interested in any science anyone might have on that.

@chemgeek. ... Any info on that?
    Good info. Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

So what is the other 90-94% ?
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

11. Back To Top    #11

They sometimes have some calcium hydroxide as a dispersant but most of it is usually isopropyl alcohol as a carrier which evaporates. The main ingredient that forms a one molecule layer on the water is usually either stearyl alcohol or cetyl alcohol.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"