Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just starting TFPC

1. Back To Top    #1

Just starting TFPC

Hello this is only the 2nd summer with our pool and we have decided to DIY ourselves with store bought PC. As of right now the store says our pool readings are as follows.

FC 0.36 Low
    PH 7.2 Ok
    TA 66 Low
    CH 83 Low
    CYA 3 Low

I have been reading on here about test kits and am not really sure if I have what everyone is suggesting that I need for Chlorine.001.jpg
    002.JPG

Hopefully the pics will come thru, they did on preview.
    Question I am not sure what SWG and some of the other sayings are, is there a place that will show me on here?
    Also looking for any info on building our own solar cover reel, any info on that?

verna2197
    19300 gal (27x54), AG, 22"Millenium Ultimate Granular Filtration w/2HP 2SP Pump,
    July 2013, Polaris 65 Vac, Confer AG Curve Step System, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, Nordic Sport Hot Tub 300 gal, 78.5"R X35"D

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just starting TFPC

Welcome to TFP!

That yellow chlorine test is the OTO test. We highly recommend the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

If you go to the Pool School link at the top of the page, there are articles that will help you learn the language ... I think the ABC article would be a good start.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello verna and welcome to TFP!

I am not sure what you mean by PC but if that stands for pool chemicals you don't need to get those from the pool store. You can get probably everything you need from Walmart and or your local hardware store and save some money.

Your test kit does not have the FAS/DPD test that is recommended here. If you cannot return your test kit to purchase one of the test kits recommended here, you can supplement it with a FAS/DPD test kit. This is an example: FAS/DPD TEST KIT

Most members here purchase the TF-100. It has everything you need and is the best value available.

The Pool School link at the top right will lead you to a wealth of information on how we take care of our pools here. Once there you can navigate your to find the abbreviations but I will help you out and post the link here definitions-and-abbreviations.
    14K Gallon IG Gunite Pool built in 2005, Century Centurion 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Sqft. Cartridge filter, MiniMax Pentair NT Heater, The Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2005 test kit with Taylor K-1515-A FAS-DPD Chlorine Test. SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

If you want to learn our language...http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-abbreviations
    If you want to know our philosophy: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...at-is-tfpc-bbb

For the most part, that test kit is okay for day-to-day tests. As noted above, it doesn't have the FAS-DPD test which will allow you to measure both free chlorine and combined chlorine within 0.2 parts per million at levels up to 50 parts per million. The good news is, you can purchase just that test here. You'll love it. With the yellow test, I can never tell the difference between 3 and 5! With the FAS-DPD test, it's either tinted pink or it's clear. No guesswork.

If you test your own water with that kit and it doesn't match those pool store results, don't panic. Odds are heavily biased that you are right and they are wrong. Check out this thread, especially from post 6 on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome. Richard has posted good info.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ty everyone for your answers. We have some chemicals that DH wants to use up before we actually switch over. Guess I need to get the new CL test kit, hoping everything else is okay. Can we use store bought and pool chemicals together? Or should I just make a clean break and do just store bought. Thought as we went along and ran out of pool chemicals would replace what I can with DIY
    19300 gal (27x54), AG, 22"Millenium Ultimate Granular Filtration w/2HP 2SP Pump,
    July 2013, Polaris 65 Vac, Confer AG Curve Step System, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, Nordic Sport Hot Tub 300 gal, 78.5"R X35"D

8. Back To Top    #8

That very well may be a VERY bad decision. Why use up products that may be making the problems worse?

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS. We don't care where you buy it as it is often the exact same product.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Store-bought and pool chemicals are generally the same stuff. The pool grade stuff has fancier packaging and higher markups to pay for the free testing.

Post a list of what you have, brand and product, and we can tell you what it is and if it's useful.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Ty Richard here is what I have left

Chlorine Tablets I have used
    Pool Sanitizer
    Stabilizer
    Turbo shock I have used
    Cover free
    Pool perfect & Phosfree I have used
    Uv shield
    Pink-x

Anything not marked as used given to us by my nephew they got rid of their pool

Jblizzle, I am sorry that I have not read everything on this site, as you can see by my date I just joined. Plus I am over 60 years old and like to ask questions. Is that not allowed?

11. Back To Top    #11

That's quite a list.

The tablets will last for years if you keep the bucket closed. Right now they're no use to you because they are acidic and your pH and TA are already low. Save them for later.

The sanitizer could be anything. You'll need to get the ingredients.

The stabilizer is very useful if those pool store results are accurate. I'd wait until you get your own results before I added any. It raises the CYA level.

The Turbo shock is Calcium Hypochlorite. It can be used to chlorinate, but it adds Calcium as it does so. You won't be able to use too much of it before you risk scaling on the walls. A lot of people report the water gets cloudy for a couple days after they add it.

The cover free is some sort of oily film you pour on the surface. Nobody quite knows what it is. I wouldn't want to swim through it. I've read that bugs get stuck in it. Best not to use it.

Pool perfect is an enzyme that will break down oils if someone slathers on too much lotion and leaves an oil slick. You can't use that and the coverfree, they'll just cancel each other. Save it just in case.

If you maintain your pool our way, you won't need the phosfree. It might turn the water milky looking if you add it when you have a lot of stuff in the water. But it won't hurt anything chemically. If you do use it up, don't buy any more.

UV shield is just more stabilizer akla cyanuric acid aka CYA. Looks like you have two bottles of it now.

Pink-X is an algaecide. You won't need it if you use our methods. It's one of the ones that foams up with a lot of bleach.

I personally would send the coverfree and phosfree and the pink-x off to the dump the next time they have a hazmat pickup in your area.

The other stuff depends on what YOUR pool test results say. I hope that helps.