Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water test in prep for swg

1. Back To Top    #1

Water test in prep for swg

Here are my tests using tf100. I am installing a swg and started doing a partial drain in my pool a week ago (20%). I did a cya extended test and still had around 180. This time remove about 80% and here are my results

Tc 3
    FC 3.5
    Ph 7.2 (was 8.0 last night before acid)
    Ta 150 (was 180 last night)
    Cc 0
    Ch 300
    Cya 50
    I have to aerate my pool to get the oh up before I can add more acid to adress the ta
    Also dang auto fill got stuck on last night so I have to remove couple inches today the cya was at 60 yesterday
    Any other thoughts?

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water test in prep for swg

Looks pretty good. I would try and stay as close to your target FC (~6) as you can until the SWG is up and running. The SWG will aerate for you and cause pH rise. Once it's running, stay on your pH until your TA settles. There is no need to adjust it beforehand.

I'd get that salt added as soon as you can. You probably know that you may need to add a little more CYA as well.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

3. Back To Top    #3

You are on the right track: lower TA to around 80, raise CYA to around 70 to 80, add salt, and you will be ready for a SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 1/3 of my pucks remaining might throw the floater in but need to figure out how much they will add. I dont want to shoot myself in the foot as I dread seeing the upcoming water bill lol

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg

5. Back To Top    #5

each 8oz puck should add 2.6 ppm cya, 7oz 2.2
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Timerguy I did my tests around 11:30am and they were
    Tc 2
    fc 2
    ph 7.5
    ta 150
    I thought I was losing too much chlorine (106 degrees outside) so decided to check the cya again and was reading any where from 30-40 did the test about 5 times. Loaded up the floater with 5 tabs opened it up all the way and let that keep the fc up till I get the swg hooked up (by next weekend) and get my salt kit and tf refills back in. In meantime going to start shopping around for salt prices and pick up some sch 40 elbows and unions for the install. I plan on doing a write up on installing it. I will run the cya test again this afternoon and make the wife do it to see what she gets
    Circupool SI45+ swg

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm wondering how you're losing cya? Further, if your cya was truly 180 to start then your 80% drain and refill was really only a 66%. That may be splitting hairs, but the diluted test will only give you a ballpark estimation.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Might just be user error. Been running around trying to find sch 40 2" unions but neither of the two box stores have them grrrr all they had was sch 80 and not sure if that's ok to use so passed . Determined to get this thing built tonight to hopefully fire it up tomorrow morning. How long does it take for the salt to disolve. I took a water sample to pool store to compare my results and get a salt ppm reading before I start. They said I had 60 cya and 110 compared to my 150. The salt strip said I had 700 but going to treat it as 1k and go from there till my kit arrives and see what the swg reads.

Circupool SI45+ swg

9. Back To Top    #9

Salt will dissolve almost immediately but takes a good 24 hours to fully circulate before you should turn on an SWG
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com