Can't clear up cloudy blue pool water- help!

Jun 1, 2014
Red Bank, NJ
Hi- first time poster here but I've gotten so much help with my pool over the past few years reading posts here, so thank you!

We have an 18 x 24 ft above ground pool that was put in in 2010. We've always opened and closed it ourselves and usually have no problems getting and keeping the water clear after 2-3 days of shock, balancing chemicals, and running the filter. Last summer we had chlorine lock and used liquid shock for the first time and had great results with it. We opened the pool on 5/25 this year to find it totally brown and disgusting. Ran it for 24 hours with shock and the pool went from brown to green and disgusting. Then the motor burned out on the pump so we replaced it with a new pump and filter (1HP pump, same as we had, and cartridge filter- the cartridge is much smaller that the one that we had but we assumed it was b/c the original filter was at least 10 years old- belonging to the previous owners of the house- we had to replace their pool b/c of cracks in the walls).

Now we've been running the new pump/filter for 5 days and the water has gone from green and cloudy to blue and cloudy and we really haven't seen much improvement past that. I can see the bottom of the pool but barely. I've been to the pool store for testing every day(I just use strips at home) and everything seems good so I can't figure this out. We've done algaecide, ultra bright clarifier twice, lots of shock and have vacuumed and cleaned the filter twice already (filter is greenish brown so I am assuming algae). Could it be that the filter isn't big enough for the pool? It was sold connected to the pump which is the same HP as our previous pump but as I said the actual cartridge is probably 2/3 the size of the original that we had.

Here is what the report from yesterday said- I am going to go ahead and order my own test kit today b/c we are really stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

FAC- 6.2
Ph- 7.6
TA- 90
CYA- 30
Calcium Hardness- 200
Total Dissolved Solids- 1050
Phosphates- 0

While you wait for your kit to arrive, put in one small jug of Clorox each evening. When your kit gets in, do the complete set of test results and post them up.

Prepare to SLAM the pool by reading the following articles.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

read "SLAM" in the "How To" section.

Don't oveerlook the reading part. You have been taught some misconceptions by the pool store and these articles will help "un-teach" what they said.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.