Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Actuator Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pool Actuator Replacement

I have a 23000 gal saltwater pool with a Pentair IntelliTouch system. There are two Jandy 3 way valves with Compool CVA 24t actuators. One of the actuators does not move. I have toggled the rear switch and it does not work. I opened the Intellitouch box and switched the actuators connections and the same actuator failed. So I guess it needs to be replaced. Do I have to replace it with the same brand or could I use a Jandy or Intermatic or other??

I'd appreciate advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Actuator Replacement

I am not familiar with that brand, but most are interchangeable, these are commonly 24VAC, although there are also some 12V models, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Funny.. I had the same exact scenario happen with my Pentair actuators about 4 weeks ago. Mine were setup with an easytouch and were same model actuator. fortunately, my system was still under warranty, but like you I attempted to trouble shoot by switching the plugs and checking for voltage at the board. Once determined that it was most likely the actuator, I called the pb to come replace it. Of course, the day he showed up, the actuator started working with no further issues. I have two more years on my pentair warranty, so I still have time to get it replaced if it stops working again.

The only issue with using different brand actuators is the speed they move at. The way my system is plumbed,if only one valve moves when going from spa mode back to pool mode, my filter will dump DE powder and dirt back into the pool. The intermatics are slower, so it might cause a slight reverse in flow if the valves are out of sync.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

They are all interchangeable. You don't have to get the Jandy one.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

That must be a weird plumbing setup, killer. No way should only one valve turning cause reverse flow through the filter. It should only drain the spa or over fill the spa.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That must be a weird plumbing setup, killer. No way should only one valve turning cause reverse flow through the filter. It should only drain the spa or over fill the spa.

Not trying to railroad tobitx original thread... but here goes. Not sure if something was plumbed incorrectly in my setup, but I did have some issues when the top mounted actuator failed. In my situation, the top valve failed to return back from spa mode when I turned off the spa. With the bottom valve in the pool position and the pool pump running, DE powder started dumping back into the bottom of the pool from the floor drain. After I noticed that valve stopped working, I unscrewed it from the valve and just actuated it back by hand until I could figure out what was wrong. Do you any problems with the plumbing orientation?
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir