Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump water flow & filtration??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump water flow & filtration??

Does the water have to have a minimum flow in order to accommodate proper filtration?
    I recently changed to a VS pump, and I was curious if this running at a lower rpm (to save energy)
    will have an impact on the filtration of the water?

Thanks
    18X36 inground with vinyl liner.. Hayward DE .... Upgraded to Hayward Ecostar
    26,700 gallons....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump water flow & filtration??

Lower speeds save money even if running the pump/filter longer.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Filters filter better at lower flow rates. Backwashing, if your filter requires backwashing, requires a fairly high flow rate, as does the initial coating of the grids in a DE filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So as long as I am getting flow to the returns, then my filtration will be good even though I am running at low speeds?
    With regard to backwashing, I have a DE filter that has a bump handle.... I bump it down every so often, so should I boost up the
    speed when doing that, and then go back to the lower rpm for the motor to work less?
    Thanks for the input, I am brand new to VS pump!!!
    26,700 gallons....

5. Back To Top    #5

You need a fairly high speed to coat the grids on a DE filter. High speed should be used during the initial charging with DE and again right after each bump.

Regular filtering on very low speeds is fine. When picking an appropriate low speed you want to make sure the skimmer(s) are still skimming efficiently, and you probably don't want a speed below 1,000 RPM, as most of the VS pumps are most efficient around 1,000 RPM.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok great.....Thank You.......
    Is there a way to figure the turn-over for the pool..... I am thinking that once in a 24 hr period, or is that inaccurate??
    Also, I am assuming that a high speed is required for vacuuming as well.
    Thanks again, this is a great resource for pool owners.....
    26,700 gallons....

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't worry about turnovers. That is only important for commercial pools or when cleaning up algae.

Yes, vacuuming works best on a fairly high speed.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok thanks Jason...... I appreciate the info....
    26,700 gallons....