Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What does everyone use to measure out bleach? I'd prefer not to eyeball.

1. Back To Top    #1

What does everyone use to measure out bleach? I'd prefer not to eyeball.

This might have an obvious answer, but I don't know it. When adding smaller amounts of bleach to the pool, do you guys measure it first or just eyeball it? For instance the bleach comes in 121 oz jugs and I need to add 2 Qts, 6 oz. Is there a recommended measuring pitcher to buy? I've seen some around, but they are food grade and kind of pricey. I'm still new to the method and I'm trying to be as precise as possible until I get a good handle of things. Thanks in advance.
    33K gal. Super Steel Grecian IG (built 1994), Vinyl Liner (Replaced 2013), Jacuzzi EW 75 DE Filter (Original 1994), 1 HP Heyward Super II Pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Polaris 380 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

What does everyone use to measure out bleach? I'd prefer not to eyeball.

I use a 1 quart plastic measuring cup. If I need more than a quart like when I'm using 8.25% bleach , I usually need more than a quart, so I measure it out and dump it in a bucket then the pool. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What does everyone use to measure out bleach? I'd prefer not to eyeball.

A one or two quart plastic measuring cup works well (it's what I've used for years). We have a rule at our house where glass measuring cups are used for food and plastic measuring cups are for chemicals. Eliminates the risk of any cross-contamination.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

I know you want to be precise, but the larger the pool is the easier it is to eyeball these sort of things. With a small pool an error of a few ounces can be the difference between success and total destruction, with a larger pool it is often just a matter of slightly over or undershooting your target, which tends to average out over time.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm with Issac on this one but if you really want to be precise, at those large volumes, food service quality pitchers may be your only option. Rubbermaid Commercial and Cambro come to mind, but you're right...they can be a little pricey. You'll likely need to go to a restaurant supply to find one.

I use a polycarbonate 1qt. pitcher from Walmart. Works fine for me and the price was right.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone, that all makes sense. I guess I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some special piece of equipment I was missing. I'm sure if I go to Leslie's they will have something overpriced for me to use that will do the same thing as a Wal-Mart special. Kinda like I used to use an old coffee can for my D.E. Years back, I switched over to a Keurig, never bought a can of coffee again and had to buy a D.E. scoop for $7 when my last can rusted out........
    33K gal. Super Steel Grecian IG (built 1994), Vinyl Liner (Replaced 2013), Jacuzzi EW 75 DE Filter (Original 1994), 1 HP Heyward Super II Pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Polaris 380 Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

I use a 2 quart container, or red solo cups.
    I'll use the 2 quart container for the chlorine/bleach. Use red solo cups for muriatic acid when lowering the PH. It normally takes about 3 cups (larger red solo cup) to go from 7.9 to 7.4.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Your pool is just a bit bigger than mine. I just pour in whole bottles of Clorox. 1 bottle raises my Cl ppm by 3. I don't really need to be any more precise than that.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

OXO 32 oz plastic measuring cup, the kind where you can read the levels while looking down into the cup. Though, right now I'm doing 32 oz of 8.25 a night, don't really need to look at it. Just fill it up.

I would like to get to a place where I can just dump a whole 121 bottle in every 3rd day or whatever, but I lose FC too fast for that, I'd probably bottom out.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

10. Back To Top    #10

2 quarts, 32oz cups? I just use a cheap measuring cup from walmart that holds one cup. Maybe I need to upgrade. Sometimes I measure and sometimes I eyeball. When you get used to your pool you will feel more comfortable about eyeballing it as far as bleach goes.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

I bought some cups/buckets in the paint section of the hardware store. They have small and large ones that have measurements on the sides. They are only a few dollars.

12. Back To Top    #12

I got a pitcher from the dollar store that has markings every 16 oz up to 64oz (2qts) . Works out nice for my size of pool, where every 16 oz basically is 1ppm FC rise.

Can always buy any plastic pitcher and fill it with certain amount and make your own marks with a sharpie.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

13. Back To Top    #13

I splurged because I wanted something nice and got one of these. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...FZSMMgod4GIAEA

Love it. It only has graduations for quarts and pints between but it's plenty for the accuracy I need with bleach.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, after plenty of advice here, this is what I came up with. Bought it at the dollar store, used my wife's measuring cup with water to measure and make marks and so far it's working fine. Don't worry, the bottom was green when I bought it, it's not some weird reaction to bleach. Thanks everyone for the tips!

- - - Updated - - -

Ooops, here the pic.
    Attachment 30249
    Attached Images Attached Images