Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have a lot to learn!

1. Back To Top    #1

I have a lot to learn!

I have had my above ground pool for 12 years. We just replaced the vinyl liner a few weeks ago and therefore have a freshly filled pool. However, every year I struggle with balance. I feel like I know nothing more than I did 12 years ago. That was until I visited your site. I plan to put into practice everything you have a taught me thus far. However, when I used the pool calculator, it prompted me to use only 0.2 ounces of bleach. Now I do not have accurate figures for all the levels because 1) I have been using only test strips and 2) test like CYA is not available, but I am pretty sure I am going to need more than 0.2 ounces of bleach to make any difference. I know I need a better testing method. So my question is do they have a kit which includes all of the necessary chemicals to be tested. Please advise me on your best recommendation for what I would need. Thank you and love your site!

27ft above ground 19,300 gal
    Northeast Alabama
    12 years old pool with new vinyl liner
    Sand filter Hayward multi-flo 70 gal/min
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump not sure about the speed but would guess variable.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have a lot to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by dokwannabe35 View Post
    I have had my above ground pool for 12 years. We just replaced the vinyl liner a few weeks ago and therefore have a freshly filled pool. However, every year I struggle with balance. I feel like I know nothing more than I did 12 years ago. That was until I visited your site. I plan to put into practice everything you have a taught me thus far. However, when I used the pool calculator, it prompted me to use only 0.2 ounces of bleach. Now I do not have accurate figures for all the levels because 1) I have been using only test strips and 2) test like CYA is not available, but I am pretty sure I am going to need more than 0.2 ounces of bleach to make any difference. I know I need a better testing method. So my question is do they have a kit which includes all of the necessary chemicals to be tested. Please advise me on your best recommendation for what I would need. Thank you and love your site!

27ft above ground 19,300 gal
    Northeast Alabama
    12 years old pool with new vinyl liner
    Sand filter Hayward multi-flo 70 gal/min
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump not sure about the speed but would guess variable.
    There are a couple test kits that will test everything for you. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison Or skip the reading and just go to http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html It will get you through the season and maybe part of next year before you need any more test reagents.

Your chlorine level is dependent on your stabilizer level (CYA) If you haven't added any stabilizer yet, you will have zero, and the bleach won't last but a couple hours in the sun. Zero CYA calls for a minimum FC of 1 and a target of 3 Free Chlorine. Poolmath shows me 2 qts 3 cups of 8.25% bleach to get to 3 FC. Here's how to use Poolmath.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum. What Richard said is right, get the proper test kit then you will know what you have and the calculator will correctly tell you what you need.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like you may have something set wrong on pool math, did you enter the size of your pool correctly? (note pool math link at the top of this page is an updated version of pool calculator which is no longer supported and does not have an option for the new 8.25% bleach, etc.)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    There are a couple test kits that will test everything for you. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison Or skip the reading and just go to http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html It will get you through the season and maybe part of next year before you need any more test reagents.

Your chlorine level is dependent on your stabilizer level (CYA) If you haven't added any stabilizer yet, you will have zero, and the bleach won't last but a couple hours in the sun. Zero CYA calls for a minimum FC of 1 and a target of 3 Free Chlorine. Poolmath shows me 2 qts 3 cups of 8.25% bleach to get to 3 FC. Here's how to use Poolmath.
    Thanks Richard for your reply! Here is what I have done. Filled with fresh water May 17th. Added only the 3" pucks of chlorine tablets maybe 4 times in the first couple of weeks before switching to the liquid bleach. I added aqua chem calcium hardness 2.5lbs two weeks ago and add 2-3 pucks a week of the Sodium Bicarbonate 86.60% by Arm & Hammer. I purchased the Taylor 2006 test kit which includes the CYA testing and here were my results.

0.6ppm free chlorine
    0.2ppm combined chlorine
    8.0 ph
    130 TA
    130 CH
    43 CYA

The pool math is telling me to add this

0.1 oz. bleach 8.25% of 121 gal jug which is what I have
    0.1 oz. (31.45%-20 baume) muriatic acid or 0.1 oz. of dry acid
    0.4 oz. calcium chloride

Does all this sound right? After 12 years I have decided to finally try to do things right. Better late than never huh? Thank you again for your input!! I really appreciate the help!

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you sure you entered 19300 gallons for pool size (at the top of the PoolMath page) ?
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Are you sure you entered 19300 gallons for pool size (at the top of the PoolMath page) ?
    Sorry for jumping in here..... 19,300 gallons for a 27' above ground pool doesn't seem right. Even with a 54" wall a 27' Round pool should hold 17,400 gallons. I don't know exactly what kind of pool you have and not doubting you, but in order to calculate your chemicals right, make sure you have the correct figures.
    16,000 gallon Oval Vinyl Liner Pool (new liner 2014)
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    Purex Triton Model cc100 Cartridge Filter, 100 gpm flow rate, Penfair 1HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    At the bottom of the pool math page it prompts you to put in the measurements of your pool. So I entered 27ft round and 4.5 ft deep. The figure it gave me was 19,300. So that is what I entered at the top of the screen in the size of pool in gallons.

9. Back To Top    #9

Is 4.5 feet the depth of the water, or the height of the side wall?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Please feel free to jump in anytime. We are talking about pools after all. I am definitely looking for experienced advice and welcome any feedback. Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

That's correct. If your water level is 4.5 feet, that's your volume. If your water level is at 4 feet, then you're at 17,100. Measuring the actual water depth will give you a very close estimate.

Based on your test results and 19K volume:

0.6ppm free chlorine
    0.2ppm combined chlorine
    8.0 ph
    130 TA
    130 CH
    43 CYA

To bring your FC up to 7, which is the target level for FC, you need 189 oz of 8.25% bleach
    To bring your pH to 7.4 you need 43 oz of MA to get you there.
    No need to worry about calcium chloride. CH is fairly irrelevant to vinyl/AG pools unless it's very high, or perhaps VERY low.

Not sure why you were getting such low volumes...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

It is the depth of the water

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you so much!! I am not sure why either. I did not think 0.2 ounces of anything would make a difference. Thanks to everyone for their time!