Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Noob trying to lower costs

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Noob trying to lower costs

I just bought a house with a pool about a month ago. All seems well. I had some challenges vacuuming the bottom of the pool. Skimmer adapter plate was missing so I was just pulling the basket and sticking the hose down in the hole. I bought a skimmer adapter plate and the vacuum wouldn't work. After reading a few posts here and brainstorming while staring at the plate I realized that I had cavitation. The hole in the plate was about one inch. is I drilled out the plate to match the hole in the skimmer and it works good now.
    That's why I came here.
    Now, why I am here now.
    I've been taking samples to the pool store and buying whatever they tell me to buy. 💰💰💰💰💰 I'm spending about $50 a week. Sometimes more and sometimes less.
    19,000 gallon Vinyl IG
    1HP pump and Sand filter
    The simplest system you can imagine

2. Back To Top    #2

Pool Noob trying to lower costs

Welcome to TFP !
    You've come to the right place if you want to save some money. The first step is to get yourself one of these Test Kits. It's a must have if you want to take control of your pool. It will give you very accurate test results which you need to have to manage your water chemistry. I use the TF-100 as do a lot of other members here. The test results from one of those test kits will be the ones we trust to give good solid advice. Pool Store water testing is subjective. They want to sell you chem's.
    The next step is to do some reading in pool school. Lots of good info there to get you away from the pool store. Here are a couple of good articles to start out with.
    How To Chlorinate Your Pool
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    Any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Noob trying to lower costs

You have found us and your budget problem will soon be solved. You must invest in the new test kit, but after that, test materials are very cheap and you will save sooooo much money that you will not remember how you ever spent that much!

I predict that you will soon be spending about $50 a month. Then you can invest in a margarita machine!
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum.

"I'm spending about $50 a week"----------------STOP THAT!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

In our experience the best way to lower pool maintenance costs is to do your own testing with a quality test kit and stop going to the pool store.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ShockTherapy View Post
    I've been taking samples to the pool store and buying whatever they tell me to buy. ���������� I'm spending about $50 a week. Sometimes more and sometimes less.
    There is a term for that, it's being "pool stored".

Welcome!

Ignore the pool store and listen to the folks here and you will save money. Resist the thought of second guessing yourself and going back to the pool store for "expert advice". After a short time here you will understand your pool and it's needs much better than most pool store folks.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

How bout another one-- Leslied
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Let me fix that for you, Les-LIED
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome

I was doing the same thing as you about a month ago. The tf100 has already paid for it self in both $ and decrease in frustration.

35,000 L shaped in ground, Vinyl liner, Sand filter, Tigershark cleaner, TF-100 test kit, Eastern North Carolina

10. Back To Top    #10

Just an observation from past pool store visits.
    Some people don't want to be bothered learning about pool care, they'll go to the pool store or hire a pool care company. They'll do this till one they want to take an interest in maintaining their own pool and will search and hopefully find this site.

People forget that pool store and Merrill Lynch are not looking out for your best interest, but are looking out for their best interest. And that is perfectly acceptable in a capitalistic society.
    Here follow up on the Merrill Lynch jab: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a6xcdDORhQwc

When buying from a pool store remember this:Caveat emptor
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

Shock Welcome and glad you found this site.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow! I think I spend about thirty bucks a month on my pool chemicals. Less in what-we-call-winter-in-SoCal.

A test kit will pay for itself in no time! Even if you spring for the XL option AND the speedstir!

Go post in this thread and tell 'em to stop gloating.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

HI ShockTherapy!
    Welcome to TFP!
    We've been waiting for you! Where have you been?

I am in agreement with everyone else. If you want to take control of your pool and your wallet, and add only what it needs and not what someone else tells you, then you definitely need your own test kit. If the pool store testing were accurate and the advice they give you were accurate, you would not be spending bags of money. Its just wrong. Thats all that can be said about it.

Contrary to popular belief by the general public, a swimming pool does not have to be a money pit. All it takes is a little knowledge, all of which is available in Pool School *Pool School Button at Top of Page*

I have spent less than 20 dollars in the last 3 months *not including chlorine, because I have a swg*. A little Arm and Hammer and a little Muriatic Acid... and thats it.

Anyways, we are glad you are here and we look forward to your future posts about how much money you have saved and how troublefree and enjoyable your pool really is.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the warm welcome. You guys have my hopes up. I'm a discussion forum addict so I've read the entire pool school index! I'll be ordering a TF100 and one of those cool speedstirs next week for sure.
    For some reason I didn't see how often you normally add liquid bleach. My cya is already up to 80 so I want to get off the silk stiks as soon as possible.
    19,000 gallon Vinyl IG
    1HP pump and Sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

If your manually adding bleach you'll be doseing every night after the sun is off the pool. That way your FC levels are ready for the next days onslaught of sun and bathers.
    When you get your test kit post up a full set of results for us to take a look at. I'm curious about the CYA level. Ideally you want that level to be 30-50. 40 is a good place for it. How much sun does the pool get during the day ? 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

15. Back To Top    #15

Well man, You add bleach however often is required to keep your FC at the recommended levels. *see recommended levels in Pool School*.
    Depending on bather load, direct sun, mowed grass blowing on the poolk, leaves blowing in it, birds messing it up, all of these things and more will eat up FC. So you sort of have to Learn what your pool needs based upon many factors.

You wont know you need it or how much to put in unless you test for it - reliably.. Thats the whole reason you need your own test kit.
    Generally speaking, most people add some chlorine every day or two.

My pool uses up about 1 to 1.5ppm of chlorine a day during the week, and usually about 2 on a weekend day. Depending on the weather of course!

I wont comment on the CYA, because thats most likely a pool store test result? They are notoriously wrong. Lets get your own kit and get a reliable CYA test and go from there!

Th[QUOTE=ShockTherapy;658214 I'll be ordering a TF100 and one of those cool speedstirs next week for sure.
    For some reason I didn't see how often you normally add liquid bleach[/QUOTE]
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

16. Back To Top    #16

The pool is shaded about 50/50. So, it gets about 6 hours of full sun. We have a ton of bushes in the backyard that feed to pool little tiny leaves everyday. Then I have a Chesapeake with an attitude that likes to throw dirt in the pool when I am trying to clean it. (Adding pavers to that area)
    19,000 gallon Vinyl IG
    1HP pump and Sand filter

17. Back To Top    #17

ShockTherapy, I am hoping your name is a double entendre referencing Richard O'Brien's follow-up to The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

18. Back To Top    #18

Nope that was Shock Treatment. The name just fits me for many reasons.
    19,000 gallon Vinyl IG
    1HP pump and Sand filter