Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why the sock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why the sock?

I'm wondering the purpose of using a sock to add CYA.

I used a sock the first time I added CYA.
    I put the sock in the skimmer and it was empty in a couple of days.

I added another two pounds a couple of months ago and poured the CYA directly in the skimmer- no problems.

I read somewhere that dissolving the granules through the sock is supposed to prevent clogging the plumbing.

That never made sense to me. The CYA will not harden when trapped in the sock. It remains a powder as it dissolves.
    Why would it harden in the pipes?

If I'm overlooking something, I'll stand corrected.

Thanks
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why the sock?

The main reason for the sock is so that you know when it is dissolved. Also, if you let it into the filter, then you do not know when it is safe to clean the filter without losing some of the undissolved CYA.

And we have seen a few supposed cases of the skimmer getting clogged by pouring it in, likely too fast.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've found that it dissolves much faster when hanging in front of a return in a sock. About 2-4 hrs for 2-3 pounds vs a couple of days in the skimmer basket. I don't have to run the pump as long non stop when using the sock in front of the return.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

4. Back To Top    #4

Without the sock it is quite possible for the CYA to accumulate in the pump skimmer basket and either break the basket or stave the pump of water. This isn't the most likely possibility, but it does happen. The sock contains it and allows there to always be a way for the water to get around the CYA and reach the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

With the CYA in a sock, you can backwash any time you like without losing much CYA. That convenience alone is worth it for many folks.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Also CYA is acidic so you don't want to just broadcast into the pool to sit on the bottom for days while it dissolves
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

One post the other day didn't clog the pump basket, but the impeller instead.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, the sock it is, if I ever add anymore.
    Thanks for the replies.
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have some CYA in one of those leaf gulper fine mesh bags, tied in front of one of the returns. Hope this works ok. Just put it in this afternoon.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)