Help Me take my Pool back from the FROGS!!

Bianca

May 26, 2014
Loganville, GA
My pool has not been used for 1 year. My TF-1000 test kit came and I also got the extra r-0871 XL to go with it. All I did today is brush a little and removed some Algae. I really didn't see alot of leaves. More gooey, slimy yuck stuff..lol
I really need a step by step of what to do first. I also have never done the BBB method. Do
I need to give you guys the CYA results first? Since my pool looks like the Mother of Algae and breeding place for Frogs?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 456
Hi Bianca,
Great job on getting that Test Kit with the XL option.
I recommend to read how to SLAM before getting started. It will help you a lot!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/119-how-to

Next, please add some information about your pool and equipment to your signature. Here is how to do that.
At the top of this page just under the Pool School Button, is 'settings'.
Click Settings
Scroll down that page, look on the left side, and you will see a "edit signature". Click that, and then add then add your pool and equipment info, similar to what I have done in my sig.
It will help us to help you, if we know a bit about your pool. Also make sure to add in your sig which test kit you are using.

Next, post a full set of test results - and we will go from there!
Cant wait to see your sparkly clean pool!

Ohhhhh.... look at that sanctuary! :mrgreen:

Please read :lookhere: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry first!

I won't post the next one because you are ahead of me and already bought the best test kit around! Good for you!!! :cool:

I'll also recommend you post up the full set of test results and read :lookhere: Chlorine CYA Chart and SLAMing Your Pool coupled with :lookhere: PoolMath.

You are soooooo gonna evict these frogs!!!

Love the coffee filter idea! So, let me understand this correctly. Attach a coffee filter at the skimmer and just run the pool with no bleach?
Ugh! Everytime my husband turns on the pump a pipe comes unattached. Last night we wanted to turn it on for the first time and pipe popped off. He sealed it around 8:00 pm and at midnight we turned it on and at another spot it came unattached so, we turned it off!

The coffee filter is for the test sample, the CYA test is a measure of how cloudy the water is after adding the reagent, if the water is already cloudy it can through off the test results. So straining a few ounces of water through a coffee filter can help with the accuracy of the CYA test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, so my CYA is below 20
This is my first time testing...my god I think it took me 30 minutes reading it word for word to make sure I didn't do anything wrong.
So, do you guys need the results of the Fas-dpd also?
I also just went ahead and bought the speedstir also I have it now...should I test the Fas-dpd with this or do it like the youtube video shows?

Update...I just went ahead and did the Fas-dpd in the speedstir and the Result is 1

What do I do now?

Yes, so my CYA is below 20
This is my first time testing...my god I think it took me 30 minutes reading it word for word to make sure I didn't do anything wrong.
So, do you guys need the results of the Fas-dpd also?
I also just went ahead and bought the speedstir also I have it now...should I test the Fas-dpd with this or do it like the youtube video shows?

Update...I just went ahead and did the Fas-dpd in the speedstir and the Result is 1

What do I do now?
The pH is right on the money, so you start the SLAM. Just follow the directions.

If I was there in person, I'd use poolmath to figure out how much bleach I need to get to 10 (That's SLAM level for <20 CYA) and add it. psst it's 2 full jugs of 8.25% clorox Then I'd weigh out enough CYA to get to about 25, just in case there's some left in there but too low to read. psst 4 lbs of stabilizer granules will do it. I'd put that in a sock or nylon and set it in the skimmer and start brushing and vacuuming. After an hour since the last bleach addition, I'd take another FC & CC reading with the FAS-DPD test and add enough bleach to get FC back up to 10 and finish my brushing and vacuuming. And if there's still time before bed, I'd test it and take it to 10 FC again.

Tomorrow morning, I'd take a look at the filter pressure to be sure it wasn't loading up and needing a backwash and deal with that first if necessary Then I'd assume the CYA was dissolving and start using 12 as the FC target from then on out. And as often as I was able, I'd test FC and raise it back up to 12.

I'd also take a picture to post so everyone can watch the progress.

But that's just me.

So, that would be in the pool section at walmart? Can I still add the 2 bottles of bleach now without the stabilizer? Or should I go buy it now if I want to add the bleach tonight? Its already 11:00 pm here.
I don't know if I should do something tonight or wait for tomorrow?

Walmart has stabilizer for about$12 and like DHoover said go ahead and pick up some regular Great Value bleach. My CYA was low like yours (which actually makes SLAming cheaper and easier) and it too me 16 jugs. However my pool looks great 2 years later and is easy to maintain. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.