Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me take my Pool back from the FROGS!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Me take my Pool back from the FROGS!!

My pool has not been used for 1 year. My TF-1000 test kit came and I also got the extra r-0871 XL to go with it. All I did today is brush a little and removed some Algae. I really didn't see alot of leaves. More gooey, slimy yuck stuff..lol
    I really need a step by step of what to do first. I also have never done the BBB method. Do
    I need to give you guys the CYA results first? Since my pool looks like the Mother of Algae and breeding place for Frogs?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18K gal, Vinyl, AG, Sand filter Hayward vari-flo XL valve, Hayward Power-flo LX pump HP 1.5, Polaris 6-130-00 Vac Sweep 65 AG pressure side pool cleaner, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Me take my Pool back from the FROGS!!

post full test results!

Adjust pH to 7.2

SLAM!
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Bianca,
    Great job on getting that Test Kit with the XL option.
    I recommend to read how to SLAM before getting started. It will help you a lot!
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/119-how-to

Next, please add some information about your pool and equipment to your signature. Here is how to do that.
    At the top of this page just under the Pool School Button, is 'settings'.
    Click Settings
    Scroll down that page, look on the left side, and you will see a "edit signature". Click that, and then add then add your pool and equipment info, similar to what I have done in my sig.
    It will help us to help you, if we know a bit about your pool. Also make sure to add in your sig which test kit you are using.

Next, post a full set of test results - and we will go from there!
    Cant wait to see your sparkly clean pool!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ohhhhh.... look at that sanctuary!

Please read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry first!

I won't post the next one because you are ahead of me and already bought the best test kit around! Good for you!!!

I'll also recommend you post up the full set of test results and read Chlorine CYA Chart and SLAMing Your Pool coupled with PoolMath.

You are soooooo gonna evict these frogs!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

But they are soooo cute!
    28 ft round ABG with ~6ft deep end, approx. 20,000 gal, 2 spd 2 HP pump, sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

With as gunky as that water is you might want to strain it through a coffee filter before doing the CYA trubidity test
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Love the coffee filter idea! So, let me understand this correctly. Attach a coffee filter at the skimmer and just run the pool with no bleach?
    Ugh! Everytime my husband turns on the pump a pipe comes unattached. Last night we wanted to turn it on for the first time and pipe popped off. He sealed it around 8:00 pm and at midnight we turned it on and at another spot it came unattached so, we turned it off!
    18K gal, Vinyl, AG, Sand filter Hayward vari-flo XL valve, Hayward Power-flo LX pump HP 1.5, Polaris 6-130-00 Vac Sweep 65 AG pressure side pool cleaner, TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

The coffee filter is for the test sample, the CYA test is a measure of how cloudy the water is after adding the reagent, if the water is already cloudy it can through off the test results. So straining a few ounces of water through a coffee filter can help with the accuracy of the CYA test
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay...thanks for explaining that...I will do that.

10. Back To Top    #10

FC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 40
    CH 125
    CYA is below 20

The pool has been looking like this all day due to the 2 bottles of bleach I put in yesterday and brushed. Pool has not been turned on as of yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

I did the tests on the white postcard that came with the test kit. What is the Fas/dpd test? It doesn't say on the postcard how to do this test?

12. Back To Top    #12

You did mix half pool water and half CYA reagent together before trying to get your CYA reading? If yes, then your CYa is less than 20.

The FAS-DPD test is the powder, R-0870 amd R-0871.

This youtube channel will show you how to run the tests http://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, so my CYA is below 20
    This is my first time testing...my god I think it took me 30 minutes reading it word for word to make sure I didn't do anything wrong.
    So, do you guys need the results of the Fas-dpd also?
    I also just went ahead and bought the speedstir also I have it now...should I test the Fas-dpd with this or do it like the youtube video shows?

Update...I just went ahead and did the Fas-dpd in the speedstir and the Result is 1

What do I do now?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
    Yes, so my CYA is below 20
    This is my first time testing...my god I think it took me 30 minutes reading it word for word to make sure I didn't do anything wrong.
    So, do you guys need the results of the Fas-dpd also?
    I also just went ahead and bought the speedstir also I have it now...should I test the Fas-dpd with this or do it like the youtube video shows?

Update...I just went ahead and did the Fas-dpd in the speedstir and the Result is 1

What do I do now?
    The pH is right on the money, so you start the SLAM. Just follow the directions.

If I was there in person, I'd use poolmath to figure out how much bleach I need to get to 10 (That's SLAM level for <20 CYA) and add it. psst it's 2 full jugs of 8.25% clorox Then I'd weigh out enough CYA to get to about 25, just in case there's some left in there but too low to read. psst 4 lbs of stabilizer granules will do it. I'd put that in a sock or nylon and set it in the skimmer and start brushing and vacuuming. After an hour since the last bleach addition, I'd take another FC & CC reading with the FAS-DPD test and add enough bleach to get FC back up to 10 and finish my brushing and vacuuming. And if there's still time before bed, I'd test it and take it to 10 FC again.

Tomorrow morning, I'd take a look at the filter pressure to be sure it wasn't loading up and needing a backwash and deal with that first if necessary Then I'd assume the CYA was dissolving and start using 12 as the FC target from then on out. And as often as I was able, I'd test FC and raise it back up to 12.

I'd also take a picture to post so everyone can watch the progress.

But that's just me.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

So, what is the stabilizer? Would that be the Borax or Baking Soda.
    Thanks for breaking it down that Pool Math had me confused at first, I guess I will all learn this the more I do it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Stabilizer is Cyanuric Acid. It might be called stabilizer or something else. Pool stores have it, so does Walmart, so do hardware stores that have a pool section. This article goes into more depth.

17. Back To Top    #17

Stabilizer's short name is CYA
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

So, that would be in the pool section at walmart? Can I still add the 2 bottles of bleach now without the stabilizer? Or should I go buy it now if I want to add the bleach tonight? Its already 11:00 pm here.
    I don't know if I should do something tonight or wait for tomorrow?

19. Back To Top    #19

go with the 2 bottles of bleach in the pool now, then out to the store for the stabilizer and a LOT more bleach. if you read through here, there are a lot of slam stories just like yours where folks go through 20-40 gallons of bleach.
    25.5K gal vinyl IGP 3.5' - 8' depth. 1.5HP single speed A.O. Smith C48L2N134B1 motor on a Hayward SP2610X15 Pump. 40 ft2 D.E. Filter Hayward model EC75A. Hayward Chlorinator model CL200. single skimmer, 2 Returns. TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir.

20. Back To Top    #20

Walmart has stabilizer for about$12 and like DHoover said go ahead and pick up some regular Great Value bleach. My CYA was low like yours (which actually makes SLAming cheaper and easier) and it too me 16 jugs. However my pool looks great 2 years later and is easy to maintain. Good luck!
    27k gal, vinyl, Pentair SD-80 sand filter, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, intellichlor ic40 SWG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast