Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about Corning cultured stone

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Corning cultured stone

I'm considering facing my island with Cultured Stone. It's framed with metal studs and enclosed with 1/2 inch HardiBacker. Is it necessary to use the weatherproofing; metal lath and scratch coat of mortar; or can I go directly onto the Hardibacker with construction adhesive. I'm planning on using Southern Ledgestone with a dry stack appearance (no mortar joints between the stone). My main concern with the installation process recommended by Corning is the overall thickness. They talk about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of scrath coat plus another 1/2 inch of mortar on the stone. That plus the stone thickness will increase the overall demensions of my "L" shaped island and require a significant overhang on the countertop to marry the tile with the edge of the stone.

Opinions or experience with Cultured Stone installations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Geoff

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: QUESTION ABOUT CORNING CULTURED STONE

Well, I can give you what I did when I put cultured stone on the front of my house, and what I am going to do on my outdoor kitchen.

When we did my house, we went right over unpainted stucco;no scratchcoat was used. The mortar bed we applied was 1/2" or so thick, and after 5 years, no stones have dropped off.

When I decided to face my outdoor kitchen with the stone, I researched this subject a lot. Some people just apply the stone directly to the HB with no lathe or scratchcoat. This will definitely give you the least "installation depth", next to using construction adhesive. I contemplated the construction adhesive route, but I have to do about 150 sq. ft, and that's A LOT of tubes!!

I finallly decided to give my island a "thin" scratchcoat( about 1/2") AFTER I roll on concrete glue to the HB. This should yield about a 1" "bed" ( 1/2" scratchcoat+1/2" mortar on back of stones). I figured the stones were 1 1/2" to 3" thick, and took this dimension into consideration when designing my overhang around the entire perimeter of my island.

I think the concrete glue + the scratchcoat will yield good results. I really don't think, in your case, you can get away with not having a scratchcoat. You can go with the construction adhesive route, but the tubes are rather expensive. You can double or triple up 1/2" HB along the edge to build out enough to meet your tile. FWIW. C-Ya!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: QUESTION ABOUT CORNING CULTURED STONE

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about the number of tubes to do the job with construction adhesive, good catch. I talked to the folks at Corning and of course they recommended going the full treatment. They said they didn't want me to have to do it over later. I guess I'll give the lath and scratch coat a try and see how it works. Thanks again for the comments.

Geoff