Return and Skimmer Placement

May 18, 2014
Crowley,LA
When setting up an above ground pool. Do I want my returns or auctions closer to my pump. Or do I want them about equal. When placing returns and wall skimmers do I want the returns to face toward the skimmer and force water to the skimmer or be on the same side of the return like I've seen in most above ground pictures. Seems you would want the water force from the jets to propel trash toward the skimmer and suctions??

I've never set up an above ground pool, but I will tell you from hard experience that no amount of surface flow will overcome the wind. You want the skimmer downwind from the prevailing winds, otherwise all the leaves and bugs blow right on past the skimmer, get waterlogged, and sink for you to vacuum out later.

So in the summer we mainly have winds from the Gulf (southerly) during the winter we have Northern wids a lot, but my pool should be covered at that point so I need my skimmers on the north side of my pool. So they catch the stuff the southern winds blow toward it. Correct?

Thanks just to clarify you mainly elaborated on skimmer placement. So my returns need to be on the opposite side of the skimmer or does it really not matter?
I don't know. Someone else with experience will have to answer that. I have multiple returns, but only one skimmer, so I know about poor skimmer replacement, but I can't comment on return placement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.