Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blueray

1. Back To Top    #1

Blueray

Has anyone tried BLUERAY XL 4 in 1 Mineral additive to soften water and use less chlorine?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Quote Originally Posted by jfh8553 View Post
    Has anyone tried BLUERAY XL 4 in 1 Mineral additive to soften water and use less chlorine?
    Never heard of it, and Google doesn't seem to have any idea what it is either. Sounds like it's probably overpriced borax/boric acid.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Blueray

I found it! http://www.bluerayxl.com/

You don't want to add that. It has copper and silver in it, besides borax. Maybe you like green hair and camouflage splotches on the pool walls, though.
    Last edited by tim5055; 09-19-2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Removed image that violated guidelines
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

It appears to be a copper/silver system, though they don't exactly say what it really is.

We strongly recommend against using any copper/silver/mineral system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Folks. I sure am glad I hesitated long enough to ask. My desire was immediate use of the product. I have LOTS more to learn before I start making changes.

6. Back To Top    #6

Texas11, you are free to adopt TFP principals of pool care or not as you desire.

The core principal of TFP is to understand what you're adding to your pool to avoid unintended consequences and to accurately manage your variables and sanitation, based on scientific research that is extensively available throughout various site threads here a TFP.

The principal ingredient in that product, copper sulfate, indeed acts as both an algaecide and sanitizer supplement. You will note there is also silver and an unidentified cheating agent designed to prevent staining.

However, TFP does not recommend using copper in any form because eventually it becomes impossible to control and difficult to test for, and when it accumulates or encounters high ph events, can stain. The resulting stains are very difficult to remove. This is not conjecture. We have more that 90,000 pool users at TFP and its safe to say reports here are statistically significant over time

I have a friend who is a bonafide chem engineer who as such, you would think could control his copper sulfate use in his pool. Last summer his family barely used the pool because their hair turned green A water change remedied the levels, but his wife is now seriously afraid to swim.

When it s SO easy to maintain sanitized water with a simple, albeit daily test and dose of liquid chlorine, why on earth would any sane person advise another to instead use a method difficult to measure/control with possible unintended consequences.

The goal of TFP is to simplify and demystify pool care. To do so requires reliance on the less-is-more principal, not to advocate compound proprietary formulations where neither the user nor advisers can predict outcomes.

I don't have a dog in the race, so to speak, and I'm not sure why you do with repect to this product, but if you're looking for reassurance in this product use, you won't find it here for the reasons I outlined.

But that shouldn't stop you from doing what you want and drawing your own conclusions, despite the facts
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

7. Back To Top    #7

For purposes of keeping within forum etiquitte, I have locked this thread.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!