Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do i remove fitting on filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do i remove fitting on filter?

I have a Pentair DE filter. I am trying to remove the PVC fitting that goes into the manifold on the filter. It is very tight and when I try to turn it the manifold flexes. It just unscrews doesn't it? I though the pool guy that installed it, 8 years ago, would have just used Teflon paste, that's what it looks like. How can I get it off without breaking the manifold?

skeeter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do i remove fitting on filter?

Can you post a picture?

Are you trying to remove a male threaded adaptor from the multiport?

3. Back To Top    #3

Here it is. Any suggestions?

4. Back To Top    #4

Is that flexible pvc between the manifold and the union? Perhaps tension on that is making it bind. Gently! Push down on the manifold while unscrewing if that's the case.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

That looks glued in. I don't see any excess threads sticking out.

Happily, the outside of that black port is probably a standard pipe size, so you can put a larger connector on it and then a reducer bushing to get back to normal size.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree that it looks glued in. No easy way to remove.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok the problem is I cut off the pipe right at the end of the 1 1/2" street elbow which is screwed into a 1 1/2" to 2" reducer pvc fitting which is then screwed into the manifold on the filter. I grabbed the street elbow with pliers to try and turn it but it would not budge. I even tried to turn the reducer fitting with pliers but no go. The manifold starts to twist and deform.

skeeter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    Ok the problem is I cut off the pipe right at the end of the 1 1/2" street elbow which is screwed into a 1 1/2" to 2" reducer pvc fitting which is then screwed into the manifold on the filter. I grabbed the street elbow with pliers to try and turn it but it would not budge. I even tried to turn the reducer fitting with pliers but no go. The manifold starts to twist and deform.

skeeter
    Yes, because it's glued in. Stop before you break it.

Saw off the street elbow and the reducer. Install a coupler on the outside of the manifold stub, then use reducers and a new elbow and whatever to rebuild.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree with Richard. Measure the OUtside Diameter of the black manifold and see if you can install a larger pipe coupling on it.

It looks glued. The manifold body would be much larger if it was a female thread.

If you truly think it is threaded get a strap wrench or pipe wrench to hold the black manifold side and to help prevent deformation. Then use another wrench for the PVC piping.

Southern Ohio, 18'x36', 8'x3' deep, Vinyl, Hayward 1hp Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward AquaRite 25k SWG, 5-3'x8' Solar Panels, Hayward AquaSolar, Aqua Pro 137k Heat Pump

Taylor K-2006, Taylor K-1766, Taylor SpeedStir, hth 6-Way with OTO

10. Back To Top    #10

Measured the outside diameter of the manifold inlet at 2 3/4". I checked at HomeDepot and they don't carry any fittings that size. They go from 2" which has an inside diameter of 2 3/8" to a 3" fitting that has an 3 1/2" inside diameter. Thye don't carry anything in between.

skeeter

11. Back To Top    #11

It looks like a 2 1/2" PVC pipe has an outside diameter of 2.875" Link

Even if HD doesn't have it, someone else must. Grainger lists it.

I'd see if I could borrow a micrometer and double check that OD.

12. Back To Top    #12

I did use a micrometer. 2.751". I need a inside diameter of 2.750 or 2 3/4". The 2 1/2" list a inside diameter of 2.445". Also Pentair does not list the outside portion of the inlet pipe dimensions leading me to believe it should not be used as a connection point. The Pentair site also list the inside connection point to be a slip connection. Which means it is glued in.

I also looked at maybe using a slip over the street elbow but no pvc fitting matches the outside diameter of it.

I think I may be screwed and have to buy a new manifold.

skeeter

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    I did use a micrometer. 2.751". I need a inside diameter of 2.750 or 2 3/4". The 2 1/2" list a inside diameter of 2.445". Also Pentair does not list the outside portion of the inlet pipe dimensions leading me to believe it should not be used as a connection point. The Pentair site also list the inside connection point to be a slip connection. Which means it is glued in.

I also looked at maybe using a slip over the street elbow but no pvc fitting matches the outside diameter of it.

I think I may be screwed and have to buy a new manifold.

skeeter
    That would be my conclusion, too. Maybe upgrade to a multiport valve so you have the waste option?

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

rubber coupling and be done with, find one with nice thick walls

also if you want it to look pretty you can go the route of a pvc pipe extender fitting glued into the chopped off elbow.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

15. Back To Top    #15

You could probably remove the street 90 if you cut it off flush with the reducer, then make several cuts in what's left of the 90, and then heat the PVC and peel it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCMQ6OA84OA

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

I could get that out by grinding from the inside until I could collapse the fitting, done this many times, I don't recommend trying it unless you know how, but as X-PertPool recomended, a rubber coupling would work, or a new valve.
    Owner of Pool Service Pro, Hilmar, Ca.
    Biggest fish shot, 35 pound halibut, this was not in my 12,000 AG pool, Kreepy krawly vacuum that's obsessed with tying itself into knots.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    You could probably remove the street 90 if you cut it off flush with the reducer, then make several cuts in what's left of the 90, and then heat the PVC and peel it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCMQ6OA84OA
    This looks like the hot tip. I am going to try it as soon as i can and i'll let you know.

skeeter