Thinking about switching

May 31, 2014
Jones/oklahoma
I live in the country and have well water. Currently we have a 28ft round pool that we have used chlorine in for the last three years. We had to get a new liner due to the storms so we are at square one on what chemicals to use. I was thinking about switching to either salt or bromine. Also, a neighbor said we should use Pristine. Can anyone give me some information on what is better to use for for well water.

Welcome to TFP!

We recommend using chlorine from either liquid chlorine, or from a salt water chlorine generator (SWG).

Pristine Blue is based on using copper. We strongly recommend against using any product that contains copper.

Bromine costs a bit more than chlorine, and you use a little more than you would chlorine. It also has a sort of "chemical" smell that bothers some people. It has some mild advantages in a hot tub, but no advantages in a pool over chlorine.

Welcome! :wave:

A salt pool is no different than a bleach pool chemically, aside from the salt in the water. Instead of generating the bleach at a huge plant somewhere, then bottling the stuff up and shipping it around on pallets for weeks until you buy it and pour it in, it's generated right next to your pool. You won't need to learn anything new. Instead of testing and pouring bleach in, you'll test it and crank the knob up or down or not at all once it's set up. And it will keep adding chlorine for you when you leave town for vacation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.