Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Hayward Skimmer install leaking at gasket

1. Back To Top    #1

New Hayward Skimmer install leaking at gasket

Hi, I just installed the Hayward skimmer on my Intex AGP. All went well, except, as you can tell, it is leaking at the gasket. I'm just looking for some advice. I'm a woman, so I don't think I over tightened the screws, although I guess that could be a possibility. I tested, and they won't go any tighter. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and order another gasket and try replacing it, or if I should try silicone? If you been there, done that, please help.

Thanks guys.

This forum is invaluable.
    18x48 round Intex, 2650 Intex filter pump, SWG (not set up yet), Hayward skimmer
    Fast becoming an expert on what NOT to do. After having done it.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Hayward Skimmer install leaking at gasket

Hi there, when you installed the skimmer did you cut the butterfly gasket in half?
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, it was cut in half. I followed the directions on HacoboPablo's recent post. Just looking for what to do when there is a leak.
    18x48 round Intex, 2650 Intex filter pump, SWG (not set up yet), Hayward skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, just in case anyone ever happens to find this in a search, here's what I went with. After sifting through all the advice I got (haha) I decided to give silicone a try. It looks like it did the trick.

Just as a by the way, if I ever have to install the skimmer again, maybe on my next pool, I would choose to NOT cut the butterfly gasket into two gaskets and give it a try whole. Despite what I read on other posts, the pool liner does not rip away from the skimmer cutout due to the weight of the water in the pool. It is probably a better idea to put the brackets in place, screw them in, cut the pool, take the brackets off, put the gasket on as it was intended, put the brackets back on. But just to be safe, I would probably also have a new tube of silicone on hand and use it on the bottom and sides.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Well done Eldemac... My through the wall skimmer is arriving from Amazon next week, and I was planning on leaving the gasket in a single piece, so thank you for that...

Also you can order another gasket from amazon for like $12.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Well done Eldemac... My through the wall skimmer is arriving from Amazon next week, and I was planning on leaving the gasket in a single piece, so thank you for that...

Also you can order another gasket from amazon for like $12.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This was my thought when I installed mine. I did mine with the pool full. Half the screws were under water when I was installing it. I carefully cut the gasket in half and trimmed off the lip that was left where it was smooth on both sides.

I didn't have any leaks, but in the back of my mind I had already decided that if it did leak even 1 drop I would buy a new gasket and drop the pool and put in the new gasket.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 X 48" AG (6,420 Gallons), Intex 16" .95HP Sand Filter SWG System (2650 GPH), Hayward thru wall Skimmer, Hard plumbed with fountain, Taylor K-2006/SpeedStir/SampleSizer

7. Back To Top    #7

I just got done installing mine. Did not cut the gasket. Made it harder for my holes to line up but all done and no leaks!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Eldemac View Post
    I'm a woman, so I don't think I over tightened the screws, although I guess that could be a possibility.
    I learned long ago concerning moving a couch to never underestimate the strength of a woman!
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Eldemac View Post
    Well, just in case anyone ever happens to find this in a search, here's what I went with. After sifting through all the advice I got (haha) I decided to give silicone a try. It looks like it did the trick.

Just as a by the way, if I ever have to install the skimmer again, maybe on my next pool, I would choose to NOT cut the butterfly gasket into two gaskets and give it a try whole. Despite what I read on other posts, the pool liner does not rip away from the skimmer cutout due to the weight of the water in the pool. It is probably a better idea to put the brackets in place, screw them in, cut the pool, take the brackets off, put the gasket on as it was intended, put the brackets back on. But just to be safe, I would probably also have a new tube of silicone on hand and use it on the bottom and sides.
    That's the way I did it, attached the face and back with the screws, cut the liner, removed face and screws and put the gasket in and reattached everything. I did mine at night in the dark with the pool about 1/3rd full, so I actually attached it backwards first (with the skimmer inside the pool) for the cut so I would have to stand in cold water while doing all the work to poke screw holes and cut the liner.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Yesterday evening I drained about 6-8 inches from my Intex UltraFrame 12x24x52 pool and installed my Hayward skimmer and now I think I am having a small leak around the gasket. I drained the water to about an inch below the bottom of the gasket, lined up the face plate, marked and poked my holes, attached the skimmer and cut out the square, removed the skimmer and installed the gasket without cutting it, and reattached the skimmer. I haven't finished filling the pool back up by I got water back up to the bottom of the skimmer and now it seems to leak a little.

When you installed the silicon what type of silicon did you use, and where did you put it? Was it under the gasket directly onto the pool liner or between the gasket and the plastic skimmer frame? or Both?

Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Did you use a #3 philips? If you used a #2 philips then you probably don't have it tight enough.
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mac.dblues View Post
    Did you use a #3 philips? If you used a #2 philips then you probably don't have it tight enough.
    To be honest I'm not sure which I used but I tightened the screws to the point I was worried I would crack the plastic and the rubber gasket was starting to "squish" out a little. I noticed that because the rectangle UltraFrame pools start collapsing inward when water is removed that the liner was bending just a little but it didnt seem significant enough to be a problem at the time.

Edit: I will start a new thread for this question

13. Back To Top    #13

Get a #3 philips and finish tightening the screws. I promise you just need that little bit of extra torque to get it to seal.