Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace pump with same model?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace pump with same model?

We have a 16' above ground pool that we've only had for two years. The intex 637r pump went belly up when the pump was run accidently with no water in it. When I plug it in the motor doesn't even make a noise. I see that replacements of that model are like $40 on amazon. Should I just replace the motor, get the same pump or should I upgrade to a better model. The significant other wants me to install a saltwater filtration unit as well. Would this pump work with such a filtration system? I think the specs say its a 1000 gallon pump. Any help sorting this out in my head would be great.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Replace pump with same model?

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will have an easier time keeping the pool clean if you upgrade the pump. Intex makes a sand filter/ pump combo that works very well, and the intex saltwater chlorine generators (SWG) are designed to work with the larger intex pump/filter combos. One like this would probably work very well. You would have to check if the SWG is compatible with the 1000 gallon cartridge /pump combo.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!