So my pool is almost a sparkling oasis. We had a late start this year opening and I admit we were way too late closing last year when we put the cover on in November when a bunch of leaves and junk had already fallen to the bottom. Anyway, as you can imagine, we've been battling the algae issue.
This week and today, we brushed and vaccuumed the bottom and got the majority of everything off the bottom so all we would have left is letting the filter do its job with taking care of the dead algae that was sitting on the top of the water. But then the filter got kinda weak and wasn't pulling much water at all... I figured it was just the algae clogging it up so I constantly checked the skimmer basket, pump basket then backwashed, rinsed and even went to waste several times throughout the day. But still much lower suction than normal.
Anyway, I went through the whole process once again but this time, I cleared every single little thing out of the pump basket and that entire little well area. Turns out there was a pesky little random leaf the size of a quarter that somehow got lodged in the pump basket area that I hadn't noticed and pretty much made my filter useless. But once I got it out, the pump and filter both roared back to life and we are back on track to our sparkling oasis.
Just figured I would share my experience because I wasted hours this afternoon being all frustrated and all it took was some rinky dinky leaf the size of a coin to bring the entire system down to its knees. But never again I tell you, never again!