How long to wait to add salt after other chemicals

Pounds

May 30, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hi everyone! I have an approx 17,000sf SW pool that has gotten pretty ugly with all of the storms we've had. I just manually cleaned the DE filter this morning (thanks to your help!), and I've been working furiously to remove the debris from the pool. I've already backwashed & recharged once (there's a lot of junk in there), in addition to sweeping, skimming, & using my robotic cleaner. I just shocked, and will be adding algeacide today. The pool really needs salt. Should I wait until tomorrow to start adding? I'm worried about overloading the pump - I recharged the filter about 7 hours ago, and have backwashed & re-added DE since. Also, should I let the shock work before adding more salt? Sorry - I'm not very experienced, & I get lots of conflicting info from the pool stores. Oh, & it's getting ready to rain again! :mad: FYI, our overflow drain does not work effectively. We believe it was packed with sod (pool built before we moved in). Pool builder said he fixed it, but I have my doubts. We're going to try to repair that very soon. Every time it rains much, our pool overflows, which allows a lot of debris to enter. I "waste" when I'm home, but if we're away when it happens, we have a yucky brown pool. Thanks so much!

The only time that it is important not to add salt is in the first 30 days after plaster is applied. Otherwise it is fine to go ahead and add salt. Run the pump for 24 hours after adding salt and turn off the SWG for those 24 hours.

I was getting ready to backwash again (there was a lot of debris in pool), and then begin to add salt, as most of the debris has been removed :D. However, I just noticed that the pump is very hot to the touch. I've never noticed this before, and I'm concerned. I opted to just turn it off for the night, as I'm not comfortable with letting it run all night when it's that hot. Now, I'm not sure how to proceed. Is it safe to turn it back on to backwash when it's hot? From some of the reading I've done, I'm thinking that there may be a clog somewhere - does that sound right? There was a lot of mulch in the pool. Help!!!! Thanks so much! I just noticed that you recommended turning off the SWG (chlorinator, right) for the 24 hours after I add salt. I've never been told that before. Can you explain why, please? Thank you again!

Pounds, TFP recommendation before starting slamming process is

1. Adjust PH close to 7.2
2. Then slam the pool by elevating FC as per CYA / FC chart
3. Pass the OCLT test

I see you have mentioned about algaecide, it is absolutely not required, my recommendation is follow the TFP slam process to the word. Last year when I converted to TFP method it took me three week to finish the slam and pass OCLT.

I was getting ready to backwash again (there was a lot of debris in pool), and then begin to add salt, as most of the debris has been removed :D. However, I just noticed that the pump is very hot to the touch. I've never noticed this before, and I'm concerned. I opted to just turn it off for the night, as I'm not comfortable with letting it run all night when it's that hot. Now, I'm not sure how to proceed. Is it safe to turn it back on to backwash when it's hot? From some of the reading I've done, I'm thinking that there may be a clog somewhere - does that sound right? There was a lot of mulch in the pool. Help!!!! Thanks so much! I just noticed that you recommended turning off the SWG (chlorinator, right) for the 24 hours after I add salt. I've never been told that before. Can you explain why, please? Thank you again!

I really don't know what causing your pump to overheat, first thing I would recommend is check your pump basket, just my 2 cents

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.