Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pine sap

1. Back To Top    #1

pine sap

I have a sticky black tar looking substance that get on the inside of my skimmer. I have been told it is pine tree sap. I can't seem to get rid of it in the pool, beside cutting down our pine trees and I don't want to cut them down. does anyone have any suggestions? I have been dealing with this for about 5 years. first they said it was the jet fuel from the planes. I live about 1/2 mile from a small airport that rarely has planes flying in and out, and my neighbor doesn't have it in her pool. any suggestions would be greatful
    thank you
    wanda

2. Back To Top    #2

pine tree sap?

Please do not post the same question in multiple threads. Zea3
    I have black sticky tar looking substance that accumulates on my skimmer. Have been dealing with this for about 5 years. I believe it is sap from our pine trees. other than cutting down the trees which is not an option, I don't know how to get rid of it from my pool. anyone else have this problem? or does anyone know what to use to get rid of it?
    thanks
    wanda
    Last edited by zea3; 05-31-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: merged threads with identical topics

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: pine sap

Can you post a picture of the problem? Do you have pine trees directly above your skimmer?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I will be watching this thread as I have pine trees very close to my pool.
    2014 Used 33'x54" Wilbar Morada,deep end approx 28,800 gal.
    Hayward S180T1580S pump/filter combo,
    Pentair Aqualuminator light/return, Aquabot S2-50
    TF-100 kit, Initial fill with pond water
    South Central Iowa

5. Back To Top    #5

I would try this product, it's meant to absorb oils from the water. If you place them in your skimmer baskets they'll absorb the black tar like substance. They can then be rinsed out.

http://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Ventur...pool+scum+ball

Tom
    In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump