Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CYA during summer in Vegas

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA during summer in Vegas

My pool has a reading of 100 CYA and I would like to lower that by draining the pool. My only problem is it summer and very hot in Las Vegas so I don't want to damage the plaster. Should I do a partial drain at night and fill it back up or perhaps fill and drain at the same time till it is diluted down to the 30-50ppm mark?

25,000 plaster pool w/ attached spa
    Pentair Intellitflow VS
    Raypak RP-2100 heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CYA during summer in Vegas

Sounds like a good idea. In Vegas, even CYA of 60 is probably okay. Just be aware that a reading of 100 on the CYA tester can easily be 120 or 150. Check extended test kit directions for how to do the CYA test at high levels.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Jared
    I live here too and went through similar issues. I drained my pool in January because CYA was like 150 or so. Now it's at 60, water temp is at 90 degrees with the solar. I'm using about 3 gallons of 10% bleach a week so far, I expect it to increase due to more hotter temps. Solar is off now, I test the water everyday now.

You could put the fill hose in the deep end and drain a few feet from the shallow side steps a few feet down.

Nevada pool supply has 10% bleach on sale, 2 gallons for 4.60 until June 30th

4. Back To Top    #4

Just curious how many gallons is your pool? Trying to get a rough estimate on cost of liquid bleach needed to maintain my pool since mine is about 27,000 gallons. Oh and thanks will hit up NPS later for that bleach. Was there Saturday and it was still $6.50 or so per 2 gallons which was the same price as the 10% bleach at Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Hi Jared
    I live here too and went through similar issues. I drained my pool in January because CYA was like 150 or so. Now it's at 60, water temp is at 90 degrees with the solar. I'm using about 3 gallons of 10% bleach a week so far, I expect it to increase due to more hotter temps. Solar is off now, I test the water everyday now.

You could put the fill hose in the deep end and drain a few feet from the shallow side steps a few feet down.

Nevada pool supply has 10% bleach on sale, 2 gallons for 4.60 until June 30th
    25,000 plaster pool w/ attached spa
    Pentair Intellitflow VS
    Raypak RP-2100 heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I think my pool is around 10k gallons. It's on the south side of my house so the sun is on it from 8am - 6 pm though. I would load up on bleach, that's a great deal they have going on. I have enough to get through June but am going back before June 30 to restock. I just bought 20 gallons, yesterday. And 29% Acid is on sale too

Good luck
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

fill and drain at the same time till it is diluted down to the 30-50ppm mark?
    That'll be your best bet. Siphon slowly from near the surface at one end and fill with a hose from the bottom of the other end.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School