Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand new...help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new...help!

Ok...just discovered you a couple of days ago and am really excited to FINALLY start tking control of my pool. For the last 2 years been struggling with FC issues...32K gallon plaster Anthony/Sylvan pool, 15 years old with DE filter. Opened pool Tuesday, vacuumed up silt re: mesh cover, water pretty clear, waited 48 hours and then took water sample to 2 different pool stores (just to see if I get similar test results and advice). Any how, PH 8.8+!!, TA way high, CYA close to zero and FC is zero! Both stores similar readings...
    One advised 60 lbs of PH down (in 8lb. doses) and the other said drain the pool a foot or 2 and come back for a new reading. Once the pool drained I put about 4-5 lbs. of PH down (could not believe my PH and TA were really that high) before going to sleep and started throwing Super Pool Treat (dichlor shock) in 8 and 12 cups at a time for a few times before going to sleep (watching the mushroom clouds foam up from the bottom of the pool everytime I threw in shock).

In the midst of my evening I found this website and forum and have ordered the TF 100 test kit (hope to get it early this week) and started reading the Pool School!

Next morning I checked the PH and TA and believe it or not it appeared close to normal! Threw in 12 cups shock, still saw mushroom clouds, waited 2 hours and took water samples to 2 stores. Confirmed FC zero, but CYA up to 20-30 (different readings from each store), but TA perfect and PH down to 6.8-7!! Can you imagine if I had followed the one stores advise and starting throwing in 60 lbs of PH Down!!! Now the advise was from one, 4lbs of shock every 4 hours until FC "purple" (3-5) on test strip (did this last year but once purple, I still had to shock every 2 days to get any FC readings -- I did NOT want to repeat that process again this year!). The other store said drain again and then come back (he was nice enough to say don't waste money on chemicals yet). BTW, no one could explain the mysterious new PH/TA readings...still a mystery to me unless someone could help me understand?

Got home and did more TFP reading and discovered that the shock actually increases CYA and reduces PH and it better to use regular bleach instead! Also read about Borax and Baking Soda and sent wife on a mission to go get! My plan was to get PH/TA right before SLAMing the pool -- hope this was right? Pool calculator said 4 boxes of Borax; I put 2 last night and went to sleep...this morning improved some and put other 2 boxes and 2 hours later 7.2 using Poolmaster test kit. TA about 130. Per pool calculator, for a CYA of 30, I need to shock to 12 FC, so it said 800 ounces of 6% bleach. I put it in, 2 hours later, FC zero or close...

So, at this point I sent wife to go by 16 more 96 oz. bottles of bleach and she will buy more tomorrow (with coupons!)...

Am I on right track? I still have about 25 lbs. of Super Pool Treat (dichlor shock) and waiting for wife to come back from store with bleach. At this point, I plan on throwing 2 more rounds of bleach in and then continuing tomorrow...

Any advice greatly appreciated...should I drain a foot or 2 and refill with my treated well water first or go for the SLAM?

Is all of this a waste until I get my test kit?

Excited to be here and thanks for any help!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new...help!

Welcome!

It's all a waste until you have accurate test results. Except keeping some chlorine in the water.

You may never need borax or baking soda, depending upon the fill water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just any chlorine like syl chlor tabs or shock type?

Thx...
    33,000 gals, DE, IG, plaster, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter, Pentair Super Flo 2hp, Pentair MinMax Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by perilous View Post
    Just any chlorine like syl chlor tabs or shock type?

Thx...
    Bleach. Keep FC in that 3-5 range on your strips until the kit arrives.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

A little confused, so if I put 800 ounces of bleach in...how soon should I check readings? In other words, how soon will water circulate for me to get a decent read? As I stated earlier, i put 800 ounces in this AM and my fc was not registering on test strip when I waited for circulation and checked (2 hours later)...

Should I be putting in more than 800 ounces a shot?
    33,000 gals, DE, IG, plaster, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter, Pentair Super Flo 2hp, Pentair MinMax Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Congrats on finding this forum.
    You wont regret it or the end result of the advice from these folks. You will be shocked (pun intended) at how easy and so much more inexpensive it is to maintain a algae and troublefree pool.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

A little confused, so if I put 800 ounces of bleach in...how soon should I check readings? In other words, how soon will water circulate for me to get a decent read? As I stated earlier, i put 800 ounces in this AM and my fc was not registering on test strip when I waited for circulation and checked (2 hours later)...

Should I be putting in more than 800 ounces a shot?
    You have algae. the bleach is a daily dose to keep things from getting worse. Don't expect it to clear up or hold FC yet. It's going to take a whole lot of bleach for that. It means the SLAM process. To do the SLAM, you need the test kit. Unfortunately, you're sort of stalled.

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, I will be patient and wait for kit. How much and how often would you recommend of bleach I put in starting now?

I have trichlor tabs in floaters, just take them out or no harm in keeping them in?

Truly thx!! I should have spent the extra $$$ for next day air

9. Back To Top    #9

We have no way of knowing of the pucks are helping or hurting without knowing the water chemistry. Leave 'em. A few pucks extra in your giant pool can't make things significantly worse. Just let them hold things. Save the bleach for the SLAM.

10. Back To Top    #10

Will do...thx for help!

11. Back To Top    #11

OK...got my 100 test kit...quick place to start? Based on above, probably need to SLAM

12. Back To Top    #12

Show us your test results, mainly PH, CYA and chlorine.
    ~26k ~16'x40' in-ground vinyl (the big green monster) - Hayward MaxFlo II 1HP pump - Jacuzzi sand filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump - TF-100 + Speedstir

13. Back To Top    #13

First time using kit...
    PH 7
    FC 0.5; CC 1.0; TC 1.5
    CYA 50
    TA 130
    CH 300

14. Back To Top    #14

First time using kit...
    PH 7
    FC 0.5; CC 1.0; TC 1.5
    CYA 50
    TA 130
    CH 300
    Pool calculator says 1300 0z of bleach to raise FC to 20 FC shock levels...any harm if that is actually too much???

PLEASE HELP...brand new to all of this!

15. Back To Top    #15

No harm overshooting. You're going to need a lot of bleach, you might want to try finding some stronger bleach so you can use less. Walmart great value bleach is 8.25% and pretty cheap, while you're there, check to see if they have the hth liquid chlorinator in the pool section, it is 10% and about 6.50 for 2 gallons.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC View Post
    No harm overshooting. You're going to need a lot of bleach, you might want to try finding some stronger bleach so you can use less. Walmart great value bleach is 8.25% and pretty cheap, while you're there, check to see if they have the hth liquid chlorinator in the pool section, it is 10% and about 6.50 for 2 gallons.
    Thx! Just put in 1300 ounces (for 20 FC per Pool Math)...let's see how it goes...test in an hour? Maybe 2?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh...by the way...pool is crystal clear and has been for a few days...

17. Back To Top    #17

See my other recent thread for particulars on where/how I started, but just put in 1300 ounces of bleach (for target FC of 20 as per Pool Calculator) a half an hour ago and hoping to see something register for FC I see "nothing"! Did I test too soon? Do I immediately put another 1300 ounces of bleach in and keep doing so until I see FC registering at all? The SLAM thing in Pool School not clear...HELP!
    Please post the test results from this addition of bleach including CC. Your earlier test had a CC=1 which meant you have something eating your chlorine.

Also be sure to be running your filter 24/7 during the SLAM process. You can check the level 1 hour after adding with the filter running.

Post those results and we'll take it from there, but it looks like you'll be needed more bleach. What concentration are you using?
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

18. Back To Top    #18

OK...using 100 test kit...FC between 1 and 1.5, CC at 5...using standard 96 oz. jugs (Clorox) and "equivalent" concentrated at 8.25% in 64 ox containers; total of 1300 ounces at 6% concentration as per Pool Calculator...

Put more bleach now?

19. Back To Top    #19

With that much CC, you could test/add every half hour.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Is that cc 5 or .5?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast