Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Photometric Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Photometric Test Kit

Hello all,

We currently have a Taylor DPD Test Kit. We're a condo complex, semi-public pool, and are required to test the
    water four times a day which isn't an issue. The issue is there are now two of us doing the testing and possibly
    a third with the summer coming. One person is in his seventies and has been maintaining the pool as well
    as doing the testing for the last few years. I take a little more time testing, such as adding reagent at a more
    conservative pace and swirling whereas he'll add a bunch of drops and swirl, possibly going beyond what the actual
    reading might be. For example, over the last several evenings I've been getting the calcium hardness up from
    200 to a goal of 260. Last night I added enough product to boost it up from 250 to 260. This morning he checks it
    and writes 290. I check it within an hour and get 260. Then he tells me he checked it again late this morning and
    got 260, so it must've dropped from 290! Checking the comparator he sees one color while I see another.

To make things more accurate across the board with different users I was thinking of going with a photometric test kit,
    the Lamotte Color Q 7 or Color Q 7 Plus. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these or knows
    of anyone who does and could offer advice on this kit or any others. Thanks and apologies for the lenght of the post.

John
    IG 33K Gallons 20'X40', Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T2 (zeolite), Pentair Intelliflo 3HP SVRS Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Photometric Test Kit

There have been many discussions about the ColorQ here. Use the search box and you'll find countless threads both praising and condemning them.

Why do you test CH so much? I thought the law only required pH and FC readings that frequently on public pools.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info. In regards to checking the calcium hardness, you are correct, it only needs to be tested once a week. He's been checking it four times a day
    for a few years now because that's what he was told by the ex-president/manager who didn't know what he was doing to begin with. He's gradually learning how to do things
    the right way as I learn them myself. There isn't even room on the sheet for us to check the hardness four times a day. I've been checking it daily lately as we're
    adding product to the pool to boost it, so I want to check it each day to make sure it's where I wanted it. When I saw that he had 290 this morning I checked it myself as
    I didn't think it would be possible for it to be that high with the amount of product I added the night before. I think I may email the city inspector to get right from him
    what needs to be tested four times a day, that way I can just show it to him.

I'll do a search and check on the Color Q. Thanks again.

John
    IG 33K Gallons 20'X40', Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T2 (zeolite), Pentair Intelliflo 3HP SVRS Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know what the laws are, but the only parameter that would fluctuate enough to check four times per day would be FC.

I imagine that's what it is. Nothing else would need that much checking. Perhaps if you had a pH automation system that was giving you trouble, otherwise no.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Perhaps just a simple speed stir would help if this is a swirling issue

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Law states FC and pH checked four times a day. The issue is apparently his perception of colors, plus he rushes things. I checked FC around 10:15am and it was just about 2.0 He
    checked it at 5:45am and he put down 3.0. I think he checks it and writes down the previous reading. The other day he wrote down 100 for alkalinity, which again he checks
    four times a day. He did it twice and put that number down. I checked it as we were going to be increasing it a bit and got a reading of 80. I double checked and got 80 again.
    The next time he checked it he puts down 80.

After reading some of the comments on the Color Q I think we'll just stick with the testing method we use now, however we need to get new reagents. I asked him how old they
    were and he says most of them are over three years old. At one time they bought some pretty big bottles of various reagents and just top off the small bottles. Again, he means
    well and does a good job of things, but was just taught wrong. You should see the instructions he was given for backwashing!

John

7. Back To Top    #7

You might also consider a FAS-DPD drop based chlorine test, it is a drop counting test for FC and CC, count drops until color change, no color matching required
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

I have used ColorQ and compared two photometers and have found them both to give inaccurate results. Do a search and you will see my comparisons with the TF 100.

In my opinion you have a personnel issue and nothing more.
    ~22,000 gallon inground plaster pool, 1 skimmer, 3 return jets
    Irregular pool sized approximately 19' x 40' 9' deep, Color Splash 3G pool light
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter (part# 160301)
    1 HP Pentair Pump Model WFE-24 single speed
    Light Blue Pool Cover BBB Method

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the comments. I agree it's more of a personnel issue. He means well and has been doing it for a few years because no one else did. I'll make sure I do one of the tests each day
    to make sure the pH and FC are where they need to be. He's agreed that any chemicals that need to be added will be done by me as well as figuring how much needs to go in. I've been trying
    to teach him how to do the calculations just to show him how's its done. In the past if something was low he would just add "a few scoops here and there" until it got to where it needed to be.
    With 33,000 gallons of water that could take a while. I showed him it's a bit easier to add 18 lbs of product to get the calcium hardness up over a few days to exactly where we wanted it rather
    than the "few scoops here and there" method.

Our CPO checks in once a week and does a test and records it too, so between him and I we should have a pretty accurate measure of what needs to be done, if anything. I also told him today
    that according to the Mass General Laws he only needs to check TA and CH once a week. I'll check with the city inspector first before making that change, but that should help things. You know
    the saying about teaching an old dog new tricks. Thanks again.

John

10. Back To Top    #10

Just an update. Bought a new DPD test kit, deciding not to go with the Color Q after reading the problems people have had with it. It looks like the only
    who to go the route of a photometer is to spend big bucks. Also talked with the city inspector today who confirmed that it's ok to only check FC and pH four
    times a day and the rest once a week. That should help things.

Since I've been testing the pool and have been going over the proper way to do it with the VP he seems to have gotten better. I bumped up the CH the other
    night without telling him. First thing in the morning he took a reading and got it right so I think he's becoming more aware that he should take his time.

Thanks again.

John

11. Back To Top    #11

I hope you the FAS-DPD chlorine test and not the DPD test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!