Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No way that coating is going to inhibit electrical passage

1. Back To Top    #1

No way that coating is going to inhibit electrical passage

Split off of here. JasonLion

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    You need to use some sandpaper and remove that coating. The bonding lug should be full metal to metal contact with the posts. As it is now, only tiny area on the side of the screw through the post has you actually bonded, and thats not enough.
    no way that coating is going to inhibit electrical passage. if it did, we wouldnt have to bond in the first place. it will burn right through that paper thin coating like its not even there, in fact if if it didnt, electricity will arc, (jump) up to 2 inches. how do I know that? because the Taser X26 I carry every day on duty with 50,000 volts and 25 watts will arc through up to 2 inches of thick bulky clothing. And thats low voltage. High voltage will do more than that.

I wouldnt take off the coating, that sounds like a sure fire way to promote premature rusting to me. electrician said it would be fine too, thats good enough for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    You are not normally supposed to have a ground rod.
    true, but it isnt gonna hurt either.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No way that coating is going to inhibit electrical passage

A layer of paint won't stop lightning, but it will stop 40 or 50 volts, and 40 to 50 volts is more than enough to kill you when you are in the water.

An extra ground rod can indeed hurt. It creates a ground loop, which can unnecessarily cause ground currents to run through your bonding system, greatly accelerating the corrosion of the bonding wire.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Bonding Question

We're talking relatively low voltage here so your analogy of the taser isn't applicable here.

While removing the coating would be best, it's probably not absolutely critical as the threading of the bolt will provide a path.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    A layer of paint won't stop lightning, but it will stop 40 or 50 volts, and 40 to 50 volts is more than enough to kill you when you are in the water.

An extra ground rod can indeed hurt. It creates a ground loop, which can unnecessarily cause ground currents to run through your bonding system, greatly accelerating the corrosion of the bonding wire.
    i donno. im not an electrician by trade. But the gentleman that is doing my electric has been for 30+ years and does pools all the time. He told me a ground rod is extra insurance. He also told me that coating is not an issue at all.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gtnos View Post
    Split off of here. JasonLion

no way that coating is going to inhibit electrical passage. if it did, we wouldnt have to bond in the first place. it will burn right through that paper thin coating like its not even there, in fact if if it didnt, electricity will arc, (jump) up to 2 inches. how do I know that? because the Taser X26 I carry every day on duty with 50,000 volts and 25 watts will arc through up to 2 inches of thick bulky clothing. And thats low voltage. High voltage will do more than that.50,000 volts is HIGH voltage. Low voltage electricity will NOT jump a two inch gap. I'll hold two wires with 110V potential a half inch apart and I'll guarantee they won't arc. You'd see lightning bolts jumping between the female terminals in every plug in the world otherwise.

I wouldnt take off the coating, that sounds like a sure fire way to promote premature rusting to me. electrician said it would be fine too, thats good enough for me.

- - - Updated - - -

true, but it isnt gonna hurt either.
    And I will add that from personal experience wrenching on cars for a living, a paper thin film of black lead-oxide corrosion on a battery post can stop a car from starting.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    And I will add that from personal experience wrenching on cars for a living, a paper thin film of black lead-oxide corrosion on a battery post can stop a car from starting.
    true....

7. Back To Top    #7

i donno. im not an electrician by trade. But the gentleman that is doing my electric has been for 30+ years and does pools all the time. He told me a ground rod is extra insurance. He also told me that coating is not an issue at all.
    Electricians do very well with power circuits in the 100's of volts (110, 220). Those are very forgiving voltages for making connections. Electricians don't have to think much about joint reliability 'cause it's pretty much done for them with power voltage levels.

Bonding is a totally different situation. Obtaining a long term reliable bonded connection requires cleaning the mating surfaces well. If you don't, it will appear to work fine at first, but will degrade much quicker than a well cleaned joint.

I don't put any stock in what electricians say about bonding. It is totally outside their normal realm of expertise and many aren't able to demonstrate any level of competence by their bonding installations.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

8. Back To Top    #8

You should consider hiring a new electrician.
    I know supposed 'pros' with 30 yrs expereince too, and I would hire them to mop the floor.

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!