Brown Stains From Chemical Tabs

May 31, 2014
Wesley Chapel, FL
I pay a pool service to maintain the chemical balance in my pool. One day after servicing the pool, I noticed two dark brown stains about 2.5" in diameter. They are perfect circles. I am confident that the pool company dropped some tabs in the pool, which caused the stain. I have an aggregate type of pool surface, and scrubbing the stain with a scrub brush had no effect.

The first thing I want to ask, is it normal to drop these pool tabs in the pool so they rest on the pool bottom? I have had the same pool service company for ten years, and never had a problem like this. Also - what can I do to remove the stains? We just had the pool resurfaced two years ago, and it still looks line new. Needless to say, I am more than upset about this.

Any help would be appreciated!

Pucks should never be tossed into a pool. What you end up with is what you now have, although I would have expected it to bleach out your plaster. Maybe the zinc in the tabs caused a rust stain. I think the only way to fix the problem is with an acid wash, but then that will take some life away from your replaster. Possibly you could do a small area and try to get it to blend? Did you ask for an explanation for your service company?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.