Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool swg start up question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool swg start up question

I had algae, so I drained my pool and now have refilled it and added salt. Its a 10' x 32"deep round intex above ground pool with metal frame. I know I have to add 32oz of stabilizer per pool math, but my question is do I add the stabilizer now, then run the pump for awhile and retest, or add stabilizer and turn swg system on then test. the intex manual is very vague about this.
    1200gal intex 10' x 30" round metal frame vinyl above ground pool, intex swg with 12"sand filter, tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool swg start up question

You need to adjust the pH and get some bleach in there to hold things until the salt has 24 hours to mix. Then you can turn on the SWG. The stabilizer should go in a sock and either set it in the skimmer or hang it over the edge in front of a return. It will take a couple days to dissolve, so the SWG may not be able to keep up with the demand until the CYA level rises. Keep adding bleach to keep FC around 3 until the SWG takes over.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have liquid stabilizer so do I let the salt mix for 24hr then put in the stabilizer?
    1200gal intex 10' x 30" round metal frame vinyl above ground pool, intex swg with 12"sand filter, tf-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You can do both of those at the same time and circulate for 24 hours.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

ok, I will add stabilizer with the salt, run for 24hrs, then test before I turn on swg......right? Or do I turn on the swg and let it run for 24hr then test the water? This is where I need advice....
    Last edited by mojopool; 05-31-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added more question

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mojopool View Post
    ok, I will add stabilizer with the salt, run for 24hrs, then test before I turn on swg......right? Or do I turn on the swg and let it run for 24hr then test the water? This is where I need advice....
    .....still waiting for an answer....please?

7. Back To Top    #7

If you're using liquid CYA, it will all be dissolved and dispersed in plenty of time. As long as the salt has had 24 hours to dissolve and mix, sure, fire off the SWG.

You should test the FC every day anyway so you can adjust your SWG percentage properly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Add salt and stabilizer/CYA, run the pump for 24 hours with the SWG off, then turn on the SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Richard, now another question, my swg is from intex it has the pump built in to it. The run time for the swg is the same for the pump. How do you figure how long you need to run the swg to keep up with generating chlorine? I had been running it for only 3hrs, should I be running the pump alone for more than that, or is 3hrs good for both?
    Thats what the chart says for my size pool and temperature.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Richard, now another question, my swg is from intex it has the pump built in to it. The run time for the swg is the same for the pump. How do you figure how long you need to run the swg to keep up with generating chlorine? I had been running it for only 3hrs, should I be running the pump alone for more than that, or is 3hrs good for both?
    Thats what the chart says for my size pool and temperature.
    I have no clue. Never seen an intex SWG in the flesh.

11. Back To Top    #11

intex.jpg here is a picture, the pump and swg system are all as one. the whole system can be programmed by hrs. you cannot run the pump seperatly unless you do it manually. I have another pump that came with the pool so I use that for additional pump time, just not sure how much I should be using the pump. I only have a chart for the whole system.

12. Back To Top    #12

intex.jpg here is a picture, the pump and swg system are all as one. the whole system can be programmed by hrs. you cannot run the pump seperatly unless you do it manually. I have another pump that came with the pool so I use that for additional pump time, just not sure how much I should be using the pump. I only have a chart for the whole system.
    All you can do is run it three hours or whatever and see what the FC level is. If it's not enough, run it longer. When it gets too high, turn it down a little.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Richard, I just wasnt sure if I needed to just run the pool pump alone for more time.....I will give it a try when I start it up tomorrow.