Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding acid every two days and rough deposits

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding acid every two days and rough deposits

I had my pool replastered two years ago. Use BBB method. 40000 gallons.

I have to add about 1/2 gallon of acid every week to keep PH balanced. Is this normal?

My calcium tests about 300. I am getting little hard nodules that are hard to brush off and have to be lightly sanded off my swim ledge and elsewhere. Is my calcium too high?

Thanks for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Adding acid every two days and rough deposits

Calcium is okay at 300. What's TA? How high do you let pH climb before you add acid? Play with poolmath a little. Plug in all your numbers including temperature, and see what CSI is. Then see what happens if pH goes up a bit. Do the same with TA and temperature. You'll see that CH actually affects CSI less than you imagine. pH and TA are the killers.

1/2 gallon weekly in a pool that size doesn't sound that bad to me. My fill water has high alkalinity, and I probably use a quart a week in a 16,000 gallon pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Adding acid every two days and rough deposits

Not much acid for a pool that size generally speaking. Curious about the answers for Richard's Q's. If what you describe is scaling, I would venture that you're letting the pH climb far too high for too long, and or too often.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr