Tiny bit algae - algicide needed or just shock?

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
I have a SWG problem so my chlorine went to zero. By the time I discovered it the water was cloudy and I had a very small patch of algae (baseball size) in a corner on the tanning ledge.

I've begun taking action by shocking it, and the pool has been consuming the chlorine like crazy.

My question is, should I use algicide or just keep up the bleaching?

Thanks!

So maybe I spoke too soon. Or maybe not.

After a couple shockings and reshockings, I thought everything was back to normal so yesterday I restarted the SWG. I set it to 70, which is much higher than the normal setting.

At the time the FC was 4

It's now a day later and the FC is down to 3.

There were only one or two people in the pool yesterday and it's been covered with a floating cover since yesterday evening.

I started shocking the pool Friday night and have done it 3 and a half times since then. I just another shock.

What do you think is going on? Is the SWG broken, or did I not do enough Slamming before turning the SWG back on?

Here are the numbers from yesterday:

FC 4
pH 7.2
TA 100
CH 600
CYA 62
Temp. 85

The FC today (24 hours later is down to 3). I also added some more CYA yesterday.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks!!

I may have answered my own question by (duh) rereading the slam method and using the pool calculator.

In order to bring my FC from 3 up to the proper SLAM level of 24, I need to add 1307 ounces of bleach! Or about 10 full sized jugs.

I've been adding about 4 or 5 at a time thinking it was enough to get to 7 or 8 but not realizing I had to go all the way up to 24!

Luckily I bought 12 jugs on the way home from work today!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.