Sta-Rite System 3 issues.

May 31, 2014
Walkersville MD
Hello all,

I just bought a house, with a 30,000 gallon in ground pool. The system is a Sta-Rite 3 (dual cartridge) filter system. It also has an Intellichlor Chlorine Generator.

Prior to 2 weeks ago I knew NOTHING about pools, but I have come a long way in just those 2 weeks.

My pool is virtually ready to go now with one pestering issue.

Despite having power washed my 2 cartridges twice now due to them being totally caked with algae, vacuuming twice (to waste in the yard), there is still small amounts of fine dirt that accumulate under each return in the pool. My vinyl liner is kind of old and has some small ripples in it, and this dirt seems to get trapped on these ripples on the pool floor under flow of the return head. No amount of cleaning cartridges or vacuuming to waste seems to stop this ugly fine dirt from making my ripples in the liner look like dark snakes instead.

How long do cartridges last for? And how would I know if I need new ones. $$$$$$$$$ ug.

Suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TFP!

While it is possible that this relates to the cartridges, most likely it is unrelated. There is always some dust and pollen falling into the pool and that will characteristically collect anywhere that the floor is slightly uneven, waiting until you vacuum or brush next.

I have had my system 3 filter cartridges for 11 seasons, I clean them twice during the season - once after about 2 weeks after opening, once in mid June after the blossoms, whirlybirds, and other tree leaves. I clean them again when I close the pool in late Sept/early Oct.

Your cleaning issue is in part to simple nature as stated above. Stuff gets into the pool. I run my filter for about 8 hrs/day and it gets rid of stuff. I also use a clarifier every week, the pool is beautiful.

So I let my filter run for about 12-24 hours and came home to crystal clear water today. But again the bottom was filled with that patchy dirt like debris. So I began vacuuming and got about 1-2 min into it when I noticed that the returns weren't pumping out clear water anymore. The water coming back from the filters was now ever so slightly greenish/brownish, but against the clear water of the pool was very evident. within a few minutes the water around the returns was cloudy. I shut off the vacuum, gave it a few hours, and once again, more crappy debris on the bottom. Pretty clear now that the water coming out of the system isn't being filtered properly to trap this fine debris?

Running out of ideas except getting new cartridges...

Thanks for any more suggestions!

I agree, that does point towards a problem with the filter. Most likely you need new cartridges, however, while you have the filter open take a look around and see if everything else looks alright.

I agree, that does point towards a problem with the filter. Most likely you need new cartridges, however, while you have the filter open take a look around and see if everything else looks alright.

In my System 3 cartridge system, there are o-rings where the cartridges seat against the output ports (if that's the right way to say it). Once, one of those o-rings got mangled, very easy to replace. That's a potential spot for debris to bypass the cartridges.

I went ahead and ordered two new cartridges for $305.00 on Ebay. Local pool supply wanted almost $700! Also ordered two new O rings. I think the previous homeowner has probably been using the same cartridges since day one, as they looked a little rough. If the new O rings and cartridges don't fix my problem I'm out of ideas....

Was almost thinking of keeping the old set of cartridges as a crummy set to use when I initially open the pool each year? Then once the pool gets almost ready, switch to the newer cleaner ones? Does anyone actually do this or am I just wasting my time and money?

Thanks again for all the advice!

I went ahead and ordered two new cartridges for $305.00 on Ebay. Local pool supply wanted almost $700! Also ordered two new O rings. I think the previous homeowner has probably been using the same cartridges since day one, as they looked a little rough. If the new O rings and cartridges don't fix my problem I'm out of ideas....

Was almost thinking of keeping the old set of cartridges as a crummy set to use when I initially open the pool each year? Then once the pool gets almost ready, switch to the newer cleaner ones? Does anyone actually do this or am I just wasting my time and money?

Thanks again for all the advice!

IM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE!!!!!!! Have you resolved this issue?? I bought new filters and it didn't solve it for me. I have not tried the rings as mentioned here yet. Please let me know if that fixed it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.