Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water

Hi All! We just opened our pool a little over a week ago. I've been keeping up with the chemicals and adding Bleach all the time to keep it at shock levels. After doing this the pool went from dark green to blue but it is still very cloudy. I'm nervous that my filter isn't keeping up. I'm not sure what else to do. We've been running the filter 24/7 for over a week now and I still can just barely see the bottom of the pool. Is there something else I should do or do I need to just keep being patient? I'm not sure how long I need to keep my pool at shock levels.
    here are my test results from this morning.

FC 8 (This was the first reading of the day...I know this isn't shock level)
    CC 0
    TC 8
    PH 7.3
    TA 70
    CYA 35-40
    Thanks!
    24' AG - Built July 06
    Sand filter
    SWG
    2 - 2x20 Solar panels

Can't wait for the warm weather!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water

As it says in the last paragrapgh of the SLAM instructions, "If you have a sand filter, you can speed up the process of clearing up the water by adding a little DE to your filter. See Add DE to a Sand Filter for more information."

You may substiture cellulose DE replacement as well. Early reports indicate that it doesn't raise pressure as much, so if you have put 4 cups in and it still hasn't raised the pressure 1 psi, stop there.

After it's been added, stick around and keep an eye on the filter pressure. it could raise 25% in a couple hours. When you backwash, you'll need to add it again, because it will all be flushed out during the backwash.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I just bought some of this yesterday since I had heard that before. We used to have a DE filter and I miss how quickly it would clear up the pool. I'll try that today and see what happens!
    24' AG - Built July 06
    Sand filter
    SWG
    2 - 2x20 Solar panels

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I noticed you had the same issue in June of last year. Did you get it cleared then?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh I did really??? Ha that's funny! We must have b/c we used our pool all summer last year. I do remember the filter struggling all year to keep it clean. The switch from DE filter to sand has been an adjustment. It def doesn't clear things up as quickly and I get impatient! Thanks for the reminder!!!
    24' AG - Built July 06
    Sand filter
    SWG
    2 - 2x20 Solar panels