Mistakenly added stabilizer to pool

May 31, 2014
San Diego, CA
Yes, I am a rookie!

I have an algae problem (mustard, I believe). After reading through your awesome forum yesterday, I figured out that I need to SLAM my pool.

Yesterday afternoon I vacuumed the “dust looking” scum off of the bottom of the pool and brushed it thoroughly. I headed out to buy a testing kit and lots of liquid chlorine. I wasn’t able to get the proper testing kit, and will have to try a different store this morning.

I tested the water last night, just using the test strips that I had. The chlorine was obviously extremely low, the ph was low and the stabilizer was about 30 (close guess, since I was using the strips). I went to adjust the ph up a little, and here’s where I messed up……UUUGH! The “ph up” container/jug looks just like the stabilizer container, and I mistakenly added about a pound of slabilizer directly to the pool water. I didn’t realize it at the time, and later went on to add 4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine.

I ran the pump all night. This morning I noticed that I had the stabilizer container out and not the ph container. Since a higher stabilizer level means adding more chlorine to reach the shock level, my question is this:

If stabilizer takes a long time to dissolve, I’m guessing that it is probably sitting on the bottom of my pool in granular form (I can’t really see the bottom of my pool). Can I manually vacuum it up and wash it out of my filter, or, is it too late for that? Water is scarce in southern California and I really don’t want to replace water in the pool. I would like to avoid having to purchase a lot more chlorine than necessary if I can get some of this stabilizer out. I don’t have the test kit yet (store is not open), so I really can’t test the current CYA.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Tell us the size of your pool? Vinyl or Plaster?

You will not get the correct test kit at a pool store. Has to be ordered online almost always.

Adding things to your pool before you post a good set of test results often ends up in having to correct some mistakes. Don't put anyhting else in for now.

How big is the pool ??

If you vac and then backflush you should be able to get rid of whatever you can. The bigger the pool the less 1 lb is going to make on your CYA level.

Click on test kit link in the signature above.

Welcome! :wave:

How big is your pool? A pound of stabilizer may have only added 5 to the CYA, which is far from a catastrophe. And you really don't know what your current CYA level is if you tested with strips. Sometimes they're right on, sometimes they're waaaaay off. Who's to know which one you have?

10,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with cartridge filtration system. The test strips did show that CYA had gone up to about 90. Who knows, however, if that's accurate.

I vacuumed it up and cleaned the filter. Easier to do than to take the chance of having to replace pool water. Water is VERY expensive here!

Got lucky, called around and was able to find a Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit in stock at one of the pool stores. If this kit is not sufficient, please let me know.

Thank all of you so much for your help! Much appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.