Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recently Changed Bearings and Booster Pump Loud Again - Please HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Recently Changed Bearings and Booster Pump Loud Again - Please HELP

When I opened up my pool this year, my booster pump was making a lot of noise. It worked correctly, but the pump was much louder than normal. So last Friday I changed out the bearings, seals, and gaskets. It seemed to work because the booster pump was quiet again. Today, I came home and heard the booster pump being very loud again. It basically sounds like it did before I changed the bearings. Is there something else it could be or should I just suck it up and get a new booster pump? Below is a link to YouTube that has a video of how loud it is. When the video starts you will hear my pool pump running, then you will hear a click that is the Polaris timer and the booster pump will turn on, then at the end you will hear another click which is me cutting the booster pump back off. Notice that it is WAY louder than the pool pump. The booster pump is 5 years old.

http://youtu.be/xow4Tc9p35o
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster
    Pentair Kreepy Krawler Prowler Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recently Changed Bearings and Booster Pump Loud Again - Please HELP

A leak that is spraying water on the bearings could possibly ruin bearings that quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So that noise is most likely bearings?
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster
    Pentair Kreepy Krawler Prowler Robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Most likely. There are other possibilities, but bearings are by far the first place to look.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School