Is it pollen? Is it something worse?

Jul 13, 2008
I found black "things" floating in my vinyl in-ground salt water pool. The water itself is clear though we have had some pretty hot weather and high humidity. It looks almost like "soot" and will clump together until you go to skim it out and then it un clumps and becomes so fine you can't scoop it out with the skimmer. I can't tell if this is pollen or what but the bees are going crazy over it, they chase me (or the skimmer I should say) when I try to skim the stuff out and I had knocked some of this stuff out of the skimmer onto the pool deck and it has been a bee convention as they hover and land and have some type of "black thing drunk fest" .....which makes me think this some type of pollen? We have oaks on our property and recently sodded the back yard (which is the only major change in the past two weeks) - I will be out of town next week and hubby is in charge of taking a water sample to the local pool store (of course he didn't get excited over the black soot floating around) but in the interim I have been researching like crazy to figure this out. The stuff doesn't sink to the bottom, doesn't really stick to the pool sides, just "floats"....and is annyoying.

Any one with an opinion?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.